Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decriminalization of Marijuana

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    First off let me state I would like to keep this within the forum guidelines.

In essence I'm trying to start a discussion on the topic. I would like to hear your honest opinions and rational. Are the penalties for marijuana possession/use within reason? Should marijuana be decriminalized?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2
    i'm not sure the penalties are that harsh in most places for possession of small amounts. and i think the criminalization is a bit silly. but i also don't expect to see it change anytime soon. law enforcement loves the stuff. all you need to start searching people is to say "i smell dope" or "my dog smells dope". so it's a great excuse and it's not going away.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    My state, Arizona, is imploding from a lack of funds for its justice system. It is talking about not having enough money to properly prosecute murders, rapists and car thieves. At the same time, it is spending millions and millions to chase after pot heads who are doing no one but themselves any harm. This is stupid to say the least. Legalize it and tax it. Then it won't be a drain on the state, but a positive source of funds.

(For the record, I don't smoke pot)

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

It is legal to cultivate and possess in Maine, as long as it is prescribed by a doctor for medicinal purposes. HOWEVER, even if you do everything by the book, you can still be prosecuted under Federal laws. A local DA has been harassing a grower for (legally) supplying marijuana to a chronically-ill person, until recently a judge ruled in favor of the grower. Essentially, the DA disagreed with the medical marijuana law, and since he could not prosecute the sick person for possessing and using it, he tried to cut off the source by prosecuting the grower. What a waste of our tax dollars.

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    THC is available in pill form, you don't need to smoke the Mary Jane for medicinal purposes anymore.

I personally don't care if people smoke it as long as they are not hurting anyone else. If reefer was legalized, I think it should be under strict standards, similar to alcohol. Something tells me that if it was legalized, we would probably have a lot more darwin awards every year which might not be a bad thing.

7. Feb 9, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The UK just increased it's criminalization. An indpendant report showed it was less dangerous and the government upgraded it to class 'B' on the same day.
    With the quote "we can't wait for the scientific evidence - we must act to protect the public"

Of course given the behavior of the current crop of politicians who have so far admitted to using it in their youth there would seem to be strong evidence that it causes long term psychological damage.

8. Feb 9, 2009 #7
    That doesn't mean anything. Pill form THC is delivered to the body differently than inhaled smoke which means it may lose efficacy. How a drug is delivered is always an extremely important part of the over all picture of the pharmacological effect of a drug. In fact, patients who take marinol report more acute psychotropic side effects from marinol than when they smoke MJ. There are also other active ingredients in MJ that have medicinal effects like cannabidiol.

9. Feb 9, 2009 #8

wolram

Gold Member

:rofl:

10. Feb 9, 2009 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think one of the "fears" is that it *is* intoxicating and where you can have some kind of control over who can buy alcohol, there is nothing stopping anyone growing their own marijuana if it was legalized. It's a weed, and it takes nothing special to grow it. Making alcohol is much more difficult, especially tasty alcohol.

11. Feb 9, 2009 #10
    i was buying alcohol at age 15. MJ may be easier to bootleg and evade taxes on, tho.

12. Feb 9, 2009 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Meh. Basil and oregano are easy to grow too, but I still buy them in the store. Now if they were made illegal and the price went up to $60 per quarter ounce, then I'd be off to Sam's Club to by a UV light that very day...

13. Feb 9, 2009 #12

Evo

Well, my point was that there would be virtually no way to have any control of an intoxicating substance.

14. Feb 9, 2009 #13

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basil and oregano are intoxicating! :tongue2:

15. Feb 9, 2009 #14

Evo

I *knew* you were going to say that! :tongue2:

16. Feb 9, 2009 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I used to love the black squidgy stuff, but when grass was the only thing on the affordability scene i bombed out, one has to have some standards.

17. Feb 9, 2009 #16
    I've got a roommate that smokes all the time. In fact, I think he just got done smoking. I'd say he does it on average 2-3 times per day.

I personally think it should be decriminalized. It doesn't really harm anyone. If the people that use it want to spend $250 an ounce to be lazy and listen to music, let them.

For the record, I have smoked it, but found it incredibly boring.

18. Feb 9, 2009 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I prefer weed to bombs, may be leaders of states should have a toke before declaring war, but then again i will still nuke any one that steps on my foot.

19. Feb 9, 2009 #18
    Its a tough subject. Personally I think it should be legal, but obviously within the same restrictions like DUI.

20. Feb 9, 2009 #19
    I got charged with possession, 650 dollar fine, 2 years probation, 6 months of outpatient, lost my financial aid for a year and had to sit in court for 15 hours over 3 seperate days to speak to the judge for maybe 90 seconds total. Tell me that is not a little excessive?

As for not being able to control the distribution of marijuana. Well yes pretty much anyone can grow marijuana, but not good bud. I don't believe places such as the netherlands have a problem with this; however, i could be wrong. I know I would buy government herb...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  21. Feb 9, 2009 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not a little excessive. (Hey, you asked. :tongue:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook