Defining a Signal. periodic, bounded finite etc.

In summary: Not sure either, but I would certainly start with the Euler relation.In summary, the signal is x(k)=j^-k*u(k) and is periodic with a period of 1.
Evo8
Im having a little trouble about how to go about defining this signal. It has a sqrt(-1) in it raised to a power so this is where i get confused. No doubt my poor algebra skills may be holding me back from understanding this problem.

The signal is x(k)=j^-k u(k)

I need to determine:
A. Whether or not the signal is periodic or aperiodic. If periodic what is the period?
B. Is it bounded or unbounded?
C. Finite or Infinite?
D. Calculate the power of x(k)

Im starting off with A. I know the definition of a periodic signal is if I can replace "k" with "K+N" and get the same signal. The value of N that achieves this is my period. I don't even know how to go about that with the j in there. j=square root(-1).

For a bounded signal I am not sure how to really go about this one either but since there is no "bounds" defined for k i would say its bounded with a bound of 1? I am not really sure on this though.

C. I would say this is a finite signal? I think because there are no operators to make the signal reach infinity?

D. I haven't attempted this yet.

I feel ill be able to deal with this problem a little bit better if i fully understand what to do with the imaginary number.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure either, but I would certainly start with the Euler relation.

rude man said:
Not sure either, but I would certainly start with the Euler relation.

Good point. I think your on to something here. I just can't really see how eulers identity fully applies.

However since I've posted this question I've tried taking x(k)=j^-k*u(k) --> x(k)=1/j^-k. If k=2 then we get x(k)=-1u(k)?

Evo8 said:
Good point. I think your on to something here. I just can't really see how eulers identity fully applies.

However since I've posted this question I've tried taking x(k)=j^-k*u(k) --> x(k)=1/j^-k. If k=2 then we get x(k)=-1u(k)?

How about j = exp(jπ/2)? Can you take it from there?

Im not really sure if that helps me or not. I don't see it anyway. There is still a j in there. Thats exp(j*pi/2) correct?

Evo8 said:
Im not really sure if that helps me or not. I don't see it anyway. There is still a j in there. Thats exp(j*pi/2) correct?

Correct.

Just because there is still a j in there doesn't mean the signal doesn't exist, does it? What about phasing?

BTW I assume k are integers?

Yes K are integers. I think the signal does exist. I am not super familiar with eulers identity (unfortunately) But it seems like it could be on the right track...I don't know...

Your signal is certainly periodic: +1, -j, -1, +j, +1, ...

Is this a course in digital signal processing? If so, doesn't your textbook cover this business?

Take a look at the appropriate section of this:

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tech_docs/dsp_book_Ch30.pdf

According to that, cos(wt + φ) --> exp(-jφ). I assume the complex Fourier series for this signal will also enable you to determine its power.

I'm no expert in this field myself, unfortunately. Hopefully I did kick-start you.

Thanks for the help guys

1. What is a periodic signal?

A periodic signal is one that repeats itself at regular intervals. This means that after a certain amount of time, the signal will repeat the same pattern. The duration of one period is known as the signal's period, and it is denoted by the symbol T.

2. How is a bounded signal defined?

A bounded signal is one that has a finite maximum and minimum amplitude. This means that the signal is limited in its range and does not have values that go to infinity. Bounded signals are often used in digital signal processing.

3. What makes a signal finite?

A finite signal is one that exists only over a finite range of time or amplitude. This means that the signal's duration is limited and it does not go on forever. Finite signals are often used in practical applications such as communication systems.

4. Can a signal be both periodic and bounded?

Yes, a signal can be both periodic and bounded. This means that the signal repeats itself at regular intervals and has a finite maximum and minimum amplitude. An example of such a signal is a sine wave with a limited amplitude and a period of 2π.

5. How are signals defined in the finite domain?

In the finite domain, signals are defined as sequences of numbers. This means that the signal is represented as a discrete set of values over a finite range. These values are often used to represent real-world signals in digital systems.