1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integral doesn't solve with L'Hopital

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    • Originally posted in a technical math forum, so is missing the homework template
    I want to solve:
    $$\int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{\left( x^2+r^2 \right)^{3/2}}=\left[ \frac{x}{r^2\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}\right]_0^\infty$$
    I apply L'Hopital's to the denominator:
    $$\left(r^2\sqrt{x^2+r^2}\right)'=\frac{xr^2}{\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}$$
    I apply again and agin L'Hopital to this but all the time almost the same result.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Don't use L'Hopital. Divide the numerator and denominator by x.

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    Only the denominator:
    $$\frac{r^2\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}{x}=\frac{r^4\left(x^2+r^2\right)}{x^2}=r^2\left(1+\frac{r^2}{x^2}\right)$$
    And the whole integral is:
    $$\left[ \frac{x}{r^2\sqrt{x^2+r^2}}\right]_0^\infty=\left[ \frac{1}{r^2\left(1+\frac{r^2}{x^2}\right)}\right]_0^\infty=\frac{1}{r^2}$$
    Is that correct?

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This isn't valid. You can't just go in and square something to get rid of the radical.
    It's the right answer but the work you show is definitely flaky. To evaluate the expression you have on the left, you need to use limits.
    $$\frac{x}{r^2\sqrt{x^2 + r^2}} = \frac{x}{r^2x\sqrt{1 + (r^2/x^2)}}$$
    Can you find the limit as x → ∞ of the last expression?

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    As x→∞:
    ##\frac{x}{r^2x\sqrt{1 + (r^2/x^2)}}<\frac{x}{r^2x}=\frac{1}{r^2}##
    And on the other hand:
    ##\frac{x}{r^2x\sqrt{1 + (r^2/x^2)}}>\frac{\frac{x}{\sqrt{1 + (r^2/x^2)}}}{r^2x\sqrt{1 + (r^2/x^2)}}=\frac{x}{\left(1 + r^2/x^2\right)xr^2}=\frac{1}{\left(1 + r^2/x^2\right)r^2}\rightarrow\frac{1}{r^2}##
    It's the sandwich rule, am i correct?

7. Nov 17, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For any finite value of x, x/x = 1, so the factors of x in the numerator and denominator cancel. Inside the radical, r2/x2 → 0 as x → ∞.

The work would look like this:
    $$\lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{x}{x r^2 \sqrt{1 + \frac{r^2}{x^2}}} = \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{r^2\sqrt{1 + \frac{r^2}{x^2}} } = \frac{1}{r^2}$$
    You shouldn't have '<'.

Apparently you're trying to get a lower bound in the work below. Using the sandwich theorem is a lot more work here than is necessary.

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted