1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definite integral using complex analysis

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Considering the appropriate complex integral along a semi-circular contour on the upper half plan of z, show that
    [itex] \int^{\infty}_{\infty} \frac{cos(ax)}{x^2 + b^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{b}e^{-ab} (a>0, b>0) [/itex] ​

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] \int_{C} = 0 [/itex] For C is a semi-circle of infinite radius in the upper half of the complex plane.
    [itex] \oint f(z)dz = 0 [/itex] for analytic functions
    [itex]\oint f(z)dz = 2\pi i \sum Res[f(z_{0})] [/itex] Where z0 is a singularity and you sum over all the residues within the contour.
    [itex] z^2 + b^2 = (z+ib)(z-ib) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been trying to solve this by using [itex] \int \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2 + b^2}dz [/itex]. Which must be solved using Cauchy's Formula (the residue thing above), since f(z) is not analytic over all space. There is a singularity of order one at [itex]\pm ib[/itex].
    Is there a better contour integral I could use? Right now the algebra is getting messy.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show us your work. You must be doing something wrong because that contour integral is pretty straightforward to evaluate.

4. Oct 24, 2011 #3
    I tried using the contour integral [itex]\int^{\infty}_{\infty} \frac{e^{-iaz}}{z^2+b^2}dz[/itex] and found that it was equal to [itex]\frac{\pi}{b}e^{-ab}[/itex]. Now I think I have to consider that a sum of different integrals. We have the top hemisphere, the x-axis and the circular contour about z0 and the lines leading to +ib. I'm finding that must of those are zero and I think I can pull out the cosine function from the integral along the x-axis...

I think before I was just forgetting how to factor...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook