Definite integral using complex analysis

In summary, the problem involves finding the complex integral along a semi-circular contour on the upper half plane of z. Using Cauchy's Formula and considering singularities at ±ib, the integral can be simplified to \int^{\infty}_{\infty} \frac{e^{-iaz}}{z^2+b^2}dz, which evaluates to \frac{\pi}{b}e^{-ab}. The author is considering different integrals along the top hemisphere, x-axis, and circular contour around z[SUB]0[SUB] and +ib, and is simplifying by factoring out the cosine function.
jncarter

Homework Statement

Considering the appropriate complex integral along a semi-circular contour on the upper half plan of z, show that
[itex] \int^{\infty}_{\infty} \frac{cos(ax)}{x^2 + b^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{b}e^{-ab} (a>0, b>0) [/itex]​

Homework Equations

[itex] \int_{C} = 0 [/itex] For C is a semi-circle of infinite radius in the upper half of the complex plane.
[itex] \oint f(z)dz = 0 [/itex] for analytic functions
[itex]\oint f(z)dz = 2\pi i \sum Res[f(z_{0})] [/itex] Where z0 is a singularity and you sum over all the residues within the contour.
[itex] z^2 + b^2 = (z+ib)(z-ib) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to solve this by using [itex] \int \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2 + b^2}dz [/itex]. Which must be solved using Cauchy's Formula (the residue thing above), since f(z) is not analytic over all space. There is a singularity of order one at [itex]\pm ib[/itex].
Is there a better contour integral I could use? Right now the algebra is getting messy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your work. You must be doing something wrong because that contour integral is pretty straightforward to evaluate.

I tried using the contour integral [itex]\int^{\infty}_{\infty} \frac{e^{-iaz}}{z^2+b^2}dz[/itex] and found that it was equal to [itex]\frac{\pi}{b}e^{-ab}[/itex]. Now I think I have to consider that a sum of different integrals. We have the top hemisphere, the x-axis and the circular contour about z0 and the lines leading to +ib. I'm finding that must of those are zero and I think I can pull out the cosine function from the integral along the x-axis...

I think before I was just forgetting how to factor...

1. What is a definite integral using complex analysis?

A definite integral using complex analysis is a mathematical technique used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It involves breaking down the curve into smaller pieces and using complex numbers to represent each piece, then summing them up to find the total area.

2. How is complex analysis used in definite integrals?

Complex analysis is used to simplify the calculation of definite integrals by reducing them to simpler forms. It allows for the use of powerful mathematical tools, such as contour integration and Cauchy's integral theorem, to solve complex integrals.

3. What are some applications of definite integrals using complex analysis?

Definite integrals using complex analysis have many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. Is complex analysis necessary for evaluating definite integrals?

No, complex analysis is not always necessary for evaluating definite integrals. It is only used for certain types of integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. However, it can often provide a more efficient and elegant solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex analysis in definite integrals?

While complex analysis is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It is only applicable to certain types of functions and integrals, and it requires a good understanding of complex numbers and mathematical techniques. Additionally, some problems may still be difficult to solve even with complex analysis.