1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Absolute Value of a Function

1. Feb 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question straight off the book "In this lesson, you have explored the absolute value of a function. How is it defined?"

2. Relevant equations
    In this lesson, I did questions like xE[0,9] and was told to write each intervals in absolute value notation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea on where to start. Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start by showing us what definition of Absolute value you are working with?
  4. Feb 9, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

The absolute value just means the value as a positive quantity. If you take the absolute value of a negative quantity, you get the corresponding positive quantity. Like, |-5| = 5.

I don't understand the notation xE[0,9], however, and writing an "interval in absolute value notation" doesn't make much sense to me. An interval is traditionally a subset of the independent axis, while the function over that interval is plotted on the dependent axis. Can you clarify?
  5. Feb 9, 2007 #4
    xE[0,9] is an example of interval notation, read "x is an element of the closed interval from 0 to 9". It sounds like your book wants the piecewise definition. Ill give you a hint, the 2 cases are x>0 and x<0
  6. Feb 9, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Oh, I get it now. Thanks. It was the use of a standard letter "E" that fooled me. I'd use the \in function in LaTex:

[tex]x \in [0,9][/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?