Definition of Absolute Value of a Function

In summary, the absolute value of a function is defined as the value of the function as a positive quantity. When taking the absolute value of a negative quantity, the corresponding positive quantity is obtained. Interval notation, such as xE[0,9], can be used to represent a subset of the independent axis, with the piecewise definition being x>0 and x<0. The \in function in LaTex is used to represent interval notation, such as x \in [0,9].
Raza

Homework Statement

Question straight off the book "In this lesson, you have explored the absolute value of a function. How is it defined?"

Homework Equations

In this lesson, I did questions like xE[0,9] and was told to write each intervals in absolute value notation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on where to start. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by showing us what definition of Absolute value you are working with?

The absolute value just means the value as a positive quantity. If you take the absolute value of a negative quantity, you get the corresponding positive quantity. Like, |-5| = 5.

I don't understand the notation xE[0,9], however, and writing an "interval in absolute value notation" doesn't make much sense to me. An interval is traditionally a subset of the independent axis, while the function over that interval is plotted on the dependent axis. Can you clarify?

xE[0,9] is an example of interval notation, read "x is an element of the closed interval from 0 to 9". It sounds like your book wants the piecewise definition. Ill give you a hint, the 2 cases are x>0 and x<0

turdferguson said:
xE[0,9] is an example of interval notation, read "x is an element of the closed interval from 0 to 9".

Oh, I get it now. Thanks. It was the use of a standard letter "E" that fooled me. I'd use the \in function in LaTex:

[tex]x \in [0,9][/tex]

Related to Definition of Absolute Value of a Function

What is the definition of absolute value of a function?

The absolute value of a function is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of whether the original number is positive or negative.

How is the absolute value of a function written?

The absolute value of a function is typically written as |x|, where x is the input or independent variable of the function.

What is the purpose of using absolute value in a function?

The absolute value of a function is useful in finding the magnitude or size of a quantity, without considering its direction. It is also used in solving equations and inequalities involving absolute values.

How is the absolute value of a function calculated?

The absolute value of a function is calculated by taking the positive value of the function, regardless of its original sign. For example, if f(x) = -3x + 5, then the absolute value of f(x) is |f(x)| = 3x + 5.

Can the absolute value of a function be negative?

No, the absolute value of a function is always positive. This is because it represents the distance from zero, which is always positive on a number line.