Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Kronecker delta

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1
    Can anyone give me a coordinate-independent definition of [itex]\delta^a_b[/itex] on curved manifolds?

Should it be defined as [itex]\delta^a_b = g^{ac}g_{bc}[/itex] where abstract index notation has been used?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could define it that way. Then again, you could take that as the definition for [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] (the inverse metric) :smile:
    One problem, is that we are used to thinking of the Kronecker delta as "the thing which is 1 iff the indices are equal, and 0 otherwise" which of course, introduces coordinates right away. I am wondering if "the unit tensor" (e.g. dxd unit matrix) is a coordinate independent statement... :smile:

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

I find that,

[tex]g_b^a = g^{an}g_{nb} = \delta_b^a[/tex]

but I can't prove it.

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I though that was the definition of the inverse metric. Basically you have written down that
    [tex]g^{-1} g = I[/tex]

6. Jul 16, 2008 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

Yep. Going round in cicles. Break the circle at any point and select a definition.

M

7. Jul 16, 2008 #6
    If your manifold has a metric, you can give a perfectly good coordinate-independent definition of the Kronecker tensor (and, indeed, its generalizations) in terms of the so-called "musical isomorphism" between the tangent space and cotangent space.

This is pretty basic stuff, but beyond a yearning for strict coordinate-independence, I can't see any actual advantage in using such a definition.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are nearly there. The coordinate-free version of a matrix is a linear operator, a function that maps vectors to vectors (or covectors to covectors).

So the Kronecker delta is just the identity operator [itex] \delta (\textbf{X}) = \textbf{X} [/itex] acting on any tangent space (or cotangent space).

This follows from the coordinate expression [itex] \delta^a_b X^b = X^a [/itex] which is true in every coordinate system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?