What is the non-lattice definition of non-lattice?

• Thread starter techmologist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: So a discrete RV can be non-lattice provided it ranges over a countable set? (It's a rhetorical question. No need to respond unless you disagree.) Thanks.Yes, a discrete RV can be non-lattice provided it ranges over a countable set.
techmologist
definition of "non-lattice"

In section 3 of this paper (bottom of 4th page):

http://www.bjmath.com/bjmath/breiman/breiman.pdf

Breiman said:
THEOREM 1. If the random variables W*1, W*2, ... are nonlattice, then for any strategy ...

What does nonlattice mean? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

techmologist said:
What does nonlattice mean? Thank you.

A lattice can be represented by a discrete subspace which spans the vector space [tex]R^n[/tex]. Any point which cannot be generated from the basis vectors by a linear combination with integer coefficients is a non-lattice point (a point with at least one irrational coordinate).

SW VandeCarr said:
A lattice can be represented by a discrete subspace which spans the vector space [tex]R^n[/tex]. Any point which cannot be generated from the basis vectors by a linear combination with integer coefficients is a non-lattice point (a point with at least one irrational coordinate).

Yeah, that's the only mathematical notion of lattice I am familiar with. Like in crystal structures. But I wasn't sure what it meant in this context: "nonlattice random variables". Is it just a fancy way of saying that the random variables are continuous--or that they attain their limiting values or something like that?

techmologist said:
Yeah, that's the only mathematical notion of lattice I am familiar with. Like in crystal structures. But I wasn't sure what it meant in this context: "nonlattice random variables". Is it just a fancy way of saying that the random variables are continuous--or that they attain their limiting values or something like that?

I don't know. I've seen several papers that use this terminology instead of "continuous". Here's one:

http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/pramprapa/4120.htm

It must have something to do with the modeling of games in terms of "equilibrium sets".

A "lattice" random variable has all values integer multiples of some one number. This is not the same as "discrete" random variable. For example, if [itex]X[/itex] has only the values 1 and [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is would be discrete but not lattice.

g_edgar said:
A "lattice" random variable has all values integer multiples of some one number. This is not the same as "discrete" random variable. For example, if [itex]X[/itex] has only the values 1 and [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is would be discrete but not lattice.

OK. So a discrete RV can be non-lattice provided it ranges over a countable set? (It's a rhetorical question. No need to respond unless you disagree.) Thanks.

Last edited:

g_edgar said:

Thank you for that definition :).

SW Vandecarr said:
I don't know. I've seen several papers that use this terminology instead of "continuous". Here's one:

http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/pramprapa/4120.htm

It must have something to do with the modeling of games in terms of "equilibrium sets".

Thanks for the link.

Related to What is the non-lattice definition of non-lattice?

1. What is the definition of a non-lattice in scientific terms?

A non-lattice is a type of crystal structure that does not have a well-defined repeating pattern. This means that the atoms or molecules in the structure do not arrange themselves in a predictable and regular manner.

2. How is a non-lattice different from a lattice?

A lattice is a type of crystal structure that has a repeating pattern of atoms or molecules, while a non-lattice does not have this regularity. In a lattice, the building blocks of the crystal are arranged in a specific and predictable way, whereas in a non-lattice, the building blocks may be arranged randomly or in a disordered manner.

3. What types of materials can exhibit non-lattice structures?

Non-lattice structures can be found in a variety of materials, including glasses, polymers, and certain types of alloys. These structures often arise due to the random arrangement of molecules or atoms during the formation of the material.

4. How is the structure of a non-lattice determined?

The structure of a non-lattice is determined through various techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to study the arrangement of atoms or molecules in the material and determine if it has a regular repeating pattern or not.

5. What are the properties of a non-lattice material?

Non-lattice materials often exhibit unique properties due to their disordered structure. These properties can include high flexibility, low melting points, and high chemical reactivity. Non-lattice materials also have a higher degree of disorder, which can make them more difficult to study and manipulate compared to lattice structures.