Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of non-lattice

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    definition of "non-lattice"

In section 3 of this paper (bottom of 4th page):

What does nonlattice mean? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2010 #2
    Re: definition of "non-lattice"

A lattice can be represented by a discrete subspace which spans the vector space [tex]R^n[/tex]. Any point which cannot be generated from the basis vectors by a linear combination with integer coefficients is a non-lattice point (a point with at least one irrational coordinate).
  4. Aug 5, 2010 #3

Yeah, that's the only mathematical notion of lattice I am familiar with. Like in crystal structures. But I wasn't sure what it meant in this context: "nonlattice random variables". Is it just a fancy way of saying that the random variables are continuous--or that they attain their limiting values or something like that?
  5. Aug 5, 2010 #4

I don't know. I've seen several papers that use this terminology instead of "continuous". Here's one:

It must have something to do with the modeling of games in terms of "equilibrium sets".
  6. Aug 5, 2010 #5

A "lattice" random variable has all values integer multiples of some one number. This is not the same as "discrete" random variable. For example, if [itex]X[/itex] has only the values 1 and [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is would be discrete but not lattice.
  7. Aug 5, 2010 #6

OK. So a discrete RV can be non-lattice provided it ranges over a countable set? (It's a rhetorical question. No need to respond unless you disagree.) Thanks.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. Aug 5, 2010 #7

Thank you for that definition :).

Thanks for the link.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook