Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Null Homotopic

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    I have a question about the definition of null homotopic. My textbook (Functions of one Complex Variable I by John B. Conway) defines it as follows: If [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a closed rectifiable curve in a region G, then [tex]\gamma[/tex] is homotopic to zero if [tex]\gamma[/tex] is homotopic to a constant curve. My question is, if G is simply connected, then is [tex]\gamma[/tex] homotopic to ANY constant curve in G? This seems obvious to me, but I'm not sure if I should prove it or just state it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2
    Here's my joke: When is a curve that is homotopic to zero not homotopic to zero?

Answer: Let Dn be the open disk of radius 1 centered at n, and let G = union of D0 and D3. Then G is simply connected but not connected.

Let gamma be a curve in D3. Then gamma is homotopic to zero because it is homotopic to the constant curve alpha(t)=3.

However, gamma is not homotopic to the constant curve beta(t)=0, so one might say that gamma is not homotopic to "zero."

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    Your G would not be simply connected :/ It has to be path connected and therefore connected to be simply connected.

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If G~c and G~c', then you would need to have c~c'....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook