Definition of stress and usage of normal vector

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
fisher garry
Messages
63
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Uten navn.png


The texts are taken from

http://ingforum.haninge.kth.se/armin/fluid/exer/deriv_navier_stokes.pdf

and

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(mechanics)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The formula for stress is ##\sigma=\frac{F}{A}## (I). From the document above it is also seen that

$$T_{x}=(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$
[/B]

If one looks at the drawing for $$T_{x}$$ and for simplicity sets $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ so that $$T_{x}$$ is normal to the zy-plane. Then from

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}$$

and (I) one should obtain that


$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}=\sigma A$$

But I don't get how this is correct. Can someone show a derivation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The stress vectors in those figures do not look (to me) like they are perpendicular to the three planes of interest. It looks to me like there are shear components in all three cases.
 
Chestermiller said:
The stress vectors in those figures do not look (to me) like they are perpendicular to the three planes of interest. It looks to me like there are shear components in all three cases.

I tried to assume that it was normal to make my question easier. I believed it would not hurt the discussion.
 
fisher garry said:
I tried to assume that it was normal to make my question easier. I believed it would not hurt the discussion.
Then I don't understand what you are asking.
 
fisher garry said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 113386

The texts are taken from

http://ingforum.haninge.kth.se/armin/fluid/exer/deriv_navier_stokes.pdf

and

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(mechanics)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The formula for stress is ##\sigma=\frac{F}{A}## (I). From the document above it is also seen that

$$T_{x}=(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$
[/B]

If one looks at the drawing for $$T_{x}$$ and for simplicity sets $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ so that $$T_{x}$$ is normal to the zy-plane. Then from

$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}$$

and (I) one should obtain that


$$F_x=T_{x}n_{1}=\sigma A$$

But I don't get how this is correct. Can someone show a derivation

I will try one more time.

If I do not set $$\sigma_{xy}=0,\sigma_{xz}=0$$ can you then derive why

$$F_x=\sigma A$$ and
$$F_x=n \cdot T_{x}=n \cdot(\sigma_{xx},\sigma_{xy},\sigma_{xz})$$

are the same values
 
The stress vector an a plane perpendicular to the x-axis is given by:$$\vec{T}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z}$$A unit normal to this plane is ##\vec{n}=\vec{i}_x##. What do you get when you dot the stress vector on the plane with the unit normal?
 
Chestermiller said:
The stress vector an a plane perpendicular to the x-axis is given by:$$\vec{T}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z}$$A unit normal to this plane is ##\vec{n}=\vec{i}_x##. What do you get when you dot the stress vector on the plane with the unit normal?
You would get $$\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$

but in the text they get

$$\vec{T}_x \cdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=F_{x}$$
 
fisher garry said:
You would get $$\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$

but in the text they get

$$\vec{T}_x \cdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=F_{x}$$
That's not what I see them getting. Of course, they did leave out the area A. I see them getting the following:

$$\vec{T}_x\centerdot \vec{i}_x=(\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x+\sigma_{xy}\vec{i}_y+\sigma_{xz}\vec{i_z})\centerdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}$$
 
Uten navn.png


I assumed thy did get this in the text

$$\vec{T}_x \cdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=F_{x}$$

because of the $$\vec{F}$$ that is used in the text that I uploaded above
 
fisher garry said:
View attachment 113424

I assumed thy did get this in the text

$$\vec{T}_x \cdot \vec{i}_x=\sigma_{xx}\vec{i}_x=F_{x}$$

because of the $$\vec{F}$$ that is used in the text that I uploaded above
The reason you are so confused is because their notation sucks. The relationships I wrote were correct.