Definition of Z^*_p: Introduction to Ring Theory

  • Thread starter Thread starter OB1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
OB1
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I'm studying introductory ring theory and have encountered the notation [tex]Z^{*}_{p}[/tex] with no definition attached. If anyone could provide the definition for this, that would be great.

Homework Equations


Don't think there are any...

The Attempt at a Solution


The only way I've ever encountered * above anything was in the dual space, and I'm pretty convinced it has nothing to do with it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For a ring R, the notation R* is usually used to denote the set of elements that have a multiplicative inverse. (This set is actually a group, with the operation being multiplication)

The equation R* = R - {0} is valid if and only if R is a field.
 
OB1 said:
Never mind, I got it, it's [tex]Z_{p}-0[/tex].
No, it's not. Zp specifically means the integers with addition modulo p.

Z*p is the integers, other than 0, with multiplication modulo p.
You can take the members of Zp to be 0, 1, 2,..., p-1 and the members of Z*p to be 1, 2, ..., p-1 but the operations are different.