Definition(s) of entropy in continuum mechanics

In summary, those treatments of Entropy in continuum mechanics that I've viewed on the web introduce Entropy abruptly, as if it is a fundamental property of matter.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Those treatments of Entropy in continuum mechanics that I've viewed on the web introduce Entropy abruptly, as if it is a fundamental property of matter. For example the current Wikepedia article on continuum mechanics ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_mechanics ) says:

The quantity of interest in this case is the entropy. Thus, we assume that there is an entropy flux, an entropy source, and an internal entropy density per unit mass (##\eta##) in the region of interest.

Are other approaches to entropy? Can entropy be defined as a function of the more familiar properties of matter -such as position, mass, velocity?

For example, making an analogy between mass density and a probability density function, one aspect of an alternate definition of entropy ##H_a## could be to define ##H_a## as a function that increases as mass density becomes more uniform. Making an analogy with the entropy of thermodynamics , another aspect could be that at a given constant mass density, ##H_a## is higher when balance of matter at locations ( due to inflow and outflow) takes place at a high rate (- high "turnover"). Is there a specific function of the fundamental properties of matter that meets those requirements and is a useful definition of Entropy?

Science news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
Those treatments of Entropy in continuum mechanics that I've viewed on the web introduce Entropy abruptly, as if it is a fundamental property of matter.

If I understand you correctly, my answer is that in continuum mechanics (which includes thermodynamics) entropy is indeed a postulated property of matter- just like mass, pressure, etc. The relationship between entropy and temperature is a (postulated) constitutive equation. The second law of thermodynamics can be formulated either as a balance equation or as the clausius-duhem inequality.

There are other approaches, which become significant in nonequilibrium conditions- 'temperature' may not have a good value and the entropy may no longer be single-valued. Two decent references I have are Balescu's "Statistical Dynamics" and Jou et. al. "Extended Irreversible Thermodynamics". Neither is a quick read...

Likes Stephen Tashi
Well, equilibrium (or very close to equlibrium) thermodynamics can be derived from statistical physics, where the statistical entropy can be defined (Boltzmann, Gibbs, von Neumann, Shannon).

Continuum mechanics books usually assume the reader has completed a course on thermodynamics. I think that is reasonable.

In general, I think it is reasonable for any graduate level textbook to gloss over or completely omit the development of concepts covered in most undergraduate curricula. The definitions of entropy are covered in (as far as I have seen) every B.A. and B.S. physics program's requirements for graduation.

The Bill said:
The definitions of entropy are covered in (as far as I have seen) every B.A. and B.S. physics program's requirements for graduation.

However, as far as I have seen, no connection is proven between the entropy that is defined in thermodynamics and the quantity called entropy that is assumed to be a property of matter in continuum mechanics. The entropy of thermodynamics is only defined for equilibrium states. Continuum mechanics deals with dynamic situations.

Stephen Tashi said:
The entropy of thermodynamics is only defined for equilibrium states.
This appears to be your misunderstanding, and is not a fact.

The thermodynamics text I used as an undergraduate defines the second law of thermodynamics in equilibrium, but defines entropy for any system large enough to obey the statistics of very large numbers.

The Bill said:
The thermodynamics text I used as an undergraduate defines the second law of thermodynamics in equilibrium, but defines entropy for any system large enough to obey the statistics of very large numbers.

What is the definition of "the statistics of very large numbers"?

Stephen Tashi said:
What is the definition of "the statistics of very large numbers"?
The regime where the law of large numbers is applicable.

The Bill said:
The regime where the law of large numbers is applicable.

Is a gas that is not in equilibrium such a regime?

Is your point of view that the treatment of entropy in continuum mechanics defines entropy exactly as it is defined in thermodynamics - and that expositions of continuum mechanics don't bother to state the definition because "the student" is assume to have studied entropy as it is defined in thermodynamics? That would be contrary to my interpretation of post #2.

In continuum mechanics entropy is something you calculate by integration using the third law of thermodynamics (entropy of an ideal crystal at 0 K is zero) and heat capacity data that extends from sufficiently low temperatures to the temperature of the considered system. There's no speculation about the microscopic nature of matter involved in it.

hilbert2 said:
In continuum mechanics entropy is something you calculate by integration using the third law of thermodynamics (entropy of an ideal crystal at 0 K is zero) and heat capacity data that extends from sufficiently low temperatures to the temperature of the considered system. There's no speculation about the microscopic nature of matter involved in it.

Do you have a reference for that? I'm interested in reading it.

dextercioby said:
Do you have a reference for that? I'm interested in reading it.

Here's how it's done for aluminum oxide: http://www2.stetson.edu/~wgrubbs/datadriven/entropyaluminumoxide/entropyal2o3wtg.html . It's also explained in most standard physical chemistry textbooks. Note that in tables of thermodynamic quantities, molar entropies are listed as absolute quantities, not values relative to something else, like the enthalpies of formation ##\Delta H_f## are.

1. What is the definition of entropy in continuum mechanics?

The definition of entropy in continuum mechanics is a measure of the degree of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system and how it changes over time.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the amount of disorder or randomness within the system will also increase, leading to a decrease in the system's energy available to do work.

3. How is entropy calculated in continuum mechanics?

In continuum mechanics, entropy can be calculated using the equation S = k ln(W), where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of possible microstates or arrangements of the particles in the system.

4. What is the significance of entropy in continuum mechanics?

Entropy plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems in continuum mechanics. It helps to explain the irreversibility of processes and provides a measure of the degree of disorder and randomness within a system.

5. How does entropy relate to the concept of information in continuum mechanics?

In continuum mechanics, entropy can also be thought of as a measure of information. As the entropy of a system increases, so does the amount of information needed to describe its state. This concept is often used to understand the behavior of information-processing systems in the field of information theory.