Gravitational acceleration from moon

In summary, the question is how to calculate the acceleration of an object on Earth's surface from the influence of the moon when it is directly overhead. Two formulas are suggested, one using the masses of Earth and the moon and their respective distances, and the other using the formula for tidal influence. The latter may not be accurate due to the complexity of factoring in the mass of the object.
Irishwolf
Hi ,
How could I calculate the acceleration of an object on the Earth's surface , say at the equator , from the influence of the moon , when the moon is directly overhead?

I have calculated the force of attraction from the moon to be 1.99 x 10^(20) N.

Now to find the gravitaional acceleration do I use ==> a=F/M
Where big M = mass earth?
I do I use the mass (m) of the moon?
Or is this not the way to calculate it?
-------------------------------------------------------
Another attempt of solving this was i used the formula for influence of moon on tides:
a= GMm/(R-r)^(2) - GMm/(R^(2))
and grav acc due to moon is 0.000001131 m/s^(2)
But someone said I should solve it with the above equation?

Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Irishwolf said:
Hi ,
How could I calculate the acceleration of an object on the Earth's surface , say at the equator , from the influence of the moon , when the moon is directly overhead?

I have calculated the force of attraction from the moon to be 1.99 x 10^(20) N.

Now to find the gravitaional acceleration do I use ==> a=F/M
Where big M = mass earth?
I do I use the mass (m) of the moon?
Or is this not the way to calculate it?
-------------------------------------------------------
Another attempt of solving this was i used the formula for influence of moon on tides:
a= GMm/(R-r)^(2) - GMm/(R^(2))
and grav acc due to moon is 0.000001131 m/s^(2)
But someone said I should solve it with the above equation?

Help please

I'm not sure I understand your question. If your question is what is the net acceleration of an object on Earth considering the gravitational effect of the moon, you may look at it with this formula:

a = GMearth/R2 - GMmoon/D2

Mearth = mass of earth
Mmoon = mass of moon
R = Earth radius
D = distance from center of moon to the object.

Hi yes that was my question thanks,
But why is that a different formula than the one used to calculate the moons influence on tides?

Not sure about tide formula. What does that do?
Note, mass of the object is irrelevant. For tide, is there a
well defined mass? You can treat all ocean water as one massive object,
but then acceleration of what water? Our simple formula then may not be
very accurate.

Hello,

Calculating the gravitational acceleration from the moon on an object on Earth's surface can be a bit complex, as it involves multiple factors such as the masses and distances of the Earth, moon, and object.

One approach to calculating this would be to use the formula for gravitational force between two objects:

F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2

Where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

In this case, m1 would be the mass of the moon and m2 would be the mass of the object on Earth's surface. The distance, r, would be the distance between the center of the moon and the center of the object on Earth's surface.

Once you have calculated the force of attraction between the moon and the object, you can then use the formula a = F / m2 to find the gravitational acceleration on the object.

Alternatively, you could also use the formula for gravitational acceleration due to an extended body:

a = G * M / r^2

Where M is the mass of the extended body (in this case, the Earth) and r is the distance from the center of the body to the point where the acceleration is being calculated (in this case, the Earth's equator). You would then need to subtract the gravitational acceleration due to the Earth alone from the total gravitational acceleration due to the Earth and the moon to find the specific influence of the moon.

I hope this helps clarify the process for calculating the gravitational acceleration from the moon on an object on Earth's surface. It is important to consider all the relevant factors and equations in order to arrive at an accurate calculation.

1. What is gravitational acceleration from the moon?

Gravitational acceleration from the moon refers to the force of gravity exerted by the moon on objects near its surface. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How does the gravitational acceleration from the moon compare to Earth's gravitational acceleration?

The gravitational acceleration from the moon is about 1/6th of Earth's gravitational acceleration. This means that objects on the moon will fall towards its surface at a slower rate than they would on Earth.

3. What factors affect the gravitational acceleration from the moon?

The gravitational acceleration from the moon is affected by the mass and distance of the object from the moon. The closer an object is to the moon, the stronger the gravitational acceleration will be.

4. Can gravitational acceleration from the moon change over time?

Yes, the gravitational acceleration from the moon can change over time due to fluctuations in the moon's mass and position in its orbit. However, these changes are very small and not noticeable to humans.

5. How is gravitational acceleration from the moon calculated?

The gravitational acceleration from the moon is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which takes into account the mass of the moon, the distance between the moon and the object, and the universal gravitational constant. It can also be calculated using the formula g = GM/r², where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the moon, and r is the distance between the moon and the object.