Deformation Analysis: When to Use Plane Strain vs 3D?

In summary, plane strain analysis is used for thin sheets and when the wall thickness is not large compared to the radius.
Hassan2
Hi all,

I have a question regarding deformation analysis.

For materials with non-zero Poisson's ration, when is it justified to use plane strain analysis rather than three-dimensional? Perhaps one case is when we are going to analyze a thin sheet. Are there other cases too?

Thanks,

Hassan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well did you mean plane stress (the thread title) or plane strain (in the question)?

They are different and for different circumstances. Do you understand the difference?

The short answer to when do we use one or the other is 'Whenever we can', since either simplifies the analysis.

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't know the difference but after your emphasis , I searched and learned a little bit about them. In fact I meant "Plane Strain".

Suppose we have a hollow cylinder with a radios of 10 cm and the a height of 15 cm. the force distribution on the inner wall is normal to the surface and independent of the coordinate along the axis and I thought maybe I can use plane strain. However the height is not large enough compared with the radius, so it doesn't seem to be a case of plane strain. I have seem some papers doing the analysis in two dimensions, and I wonder if their result is valid .

Thanks.

OK plane strain it is.

Since you are studying mech eng here is a mech example.

Consider a roller bearing - that is a solid roller (cylinder) confined between two loading plates.

So the bearing is loaded in compression transversally to the cylindrical axis.

Consider any thin slice or section of the cylinder, except at the extreme ends.

This disk suffers two diametrically opposed point compression loads, in the plane of the disk.

However the disk is unable to expand normal to its own plane becuase of the confining effect of the material (other disks) on each side.
So to a very good approximation the disk undergoes plain strain radially.
The resulting stresses and deflections are known as Hertzian.

Does this help?

BTW You need two radii to define a hollow cylinder!

Stress analysis of such a cylinder will depend upon wall thickness as to whether we can use a membrane or hoop stresses or whether we have a thick walled pipe.

It helped a lot. Thanks.

My case is the vibration analysis of and electric motor which is more complicated than your example but essentially the same.

:wink:

Post again if you need more.

Related to Deformation Analysis: When to Use Plane Strain vs 3D?

1. What is deformation analysis and why is it important?

Deformation analysis is a process used to evaluate and understand the changes in shape, size, and orientation of an object or material. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict and analyze the behavior and performance of structures and materials under different loading conditions.

2. When should I use plane strain analysis?

Plane strain analysis is ideal for situations where the thickness of the object or material being analyzed is much smaller than its length and width. This type of analysis is commonly used for long structures, such as beams or pipes, where the strain in the thickness direction is negligible and can be ignored.

3. When is 3D analysis necessary?

3D analysis is necessary when the thickness of the object or material is comparable to its length and width, or when the deformation in the thickness direction cannot be ignored. This type of analysis is commonly used for structures with complex geometry, such as curved or irregular shapes.

4. How do I determine which type of analysis to use?

The type of analysis to use depends on the specific characteristics and behavior of the object or material being analyzed. Factors such as geometry, loading conditions, and material properties should be considered when determining whether to use plane strain or 3D analysis. Consult with a qualified engineer or scientist for guidance.

5. Are there any limitations to using plane strain or 3D analysis?

Both plane strain and 3D analysis have their own limitations. Plane strain analysis assumes that there is no deformation in the thickness direction, which may not always be the case. 3D analysis, on the other hand, can be computationally expensive and may require more advanced modeling techniques. It is important to carefully consider the limitations of each type of analysis before making a decision.