Degrees of freedom with a particle and a rod

In summary: Well, I found this question in the chapter on Lagrangian mechanics. So I think it refers to only positional DOF, the number of generalized coordinates needed to specify the configuration of the system.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Given that a mass-less rod is free to move in space. And a particle is constrained to move on it. How many degrees of freedom are there?
Relevant Equations
None
The rod itself should have 3 translational+2 rotational DOF.
The particle on top of the rod has one additional DOF.

So total should be 6. But answer given is 4.

What I'm thinking wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess it doesn't actually say that it's free to rotate?

PeroK said:
Well, I guess it doesn't actually say that it's free to rotate?
No, the question just said free to move in space.
I assumed movement involves rotation too, shouldn't I?

Kaguro said:
No, the question just said free to move in space.
I assumed movement involves rotation too, shouldn't I?
How else do you get 4 degrees of freedom? I think the question is ambiguous.

Likes PhDeezNutz and Kaguro
PeroK said:
How else do you get 4 degrees of freedom? I think the question is ambiguous.
Yes, it is.

Okay, thanks for helping!:smile:

Likes PhDeezNutz
if one end of the rod is kept fixed, then the answer is indeed 3+1=4 because we just have 3 DOFs for the free end of the rod and 1 for the particle constrained on rod. However if both ends are free to move then i believe the answer is 3+3+1=7.

Delta2 said:
if one end of the rod is kept fixed, then the answer is indeed 3+1=4 because we just have 3 DOFs for the free end of the rod and 1 for the particle constrained on rod. However if both ends are free to move then i believe the answer is 3+3+1=7.
This is not right. There are only two rotational degrees of freedom for a rod. E.g. polar and azimuthal angles.

Likes Kaguro
PeroK said:
This is not right. There are only two rotational degrees of freedom for a rod. E.g. polar and azimuthal angles.
That's what I was thinking.

The rotation along the axis of rod shouldn't change anything.

Ok i was wrong, if both ends are free then we have 6 DOFs, but what about if one end is kept fixed, then we just have 4 DOFs, don't we?

Delta2 said:
What do you mean by fixing one end, though?

Shouldn't that stop the translation of rod?

Likes PeroK
Kaguro said:
What do you mean by fixing one end, though?

Shouldn't that stop the translation of rod?
Well yes, that's correct.

OK i see, i was wrong again, if one end is fixed then the answer is 2+1, if both ends are free then it is 5+1 as was said in the OP afterall.

On second thought it could be 3+1 in the case of one end fixed, IF the length of the rod is variable (the problem statement doesn't say anything about that).

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Delta2 said:
On second thought it could be 3+1 in the case of one end fixed, IF the length of the rod is variable (the problem statement doesn't say anything about that).
Please explain to me, how would variable length of rod add one more DOF?

Kaguro said:
Please explain to me, how would variable length of rod add one more DOF?
Think of it like a rubber rod or something, a rod that is a spring on the same time.

Delta2 said:
Think of it like a rubber rod or something, a rod that is a spring on the same time.
What is the purpose of this digression? In what way is it homework helping?

Delta2 said:
The rod is massless.

If I consider it as a spring, then... It should have 2 more DOF. Kinetic and potential.

Or maybe not?

Kaguro said:
The rod is massless.

If I consider it as a spring, then... It should have 2 more DOF. Kinetic and potential.

Or maybe not?
I don't think there is something like a potential DOF. DOF is for kinetic degree of freedom, like in how many different ways it can move.
But anyway I think I 've put us on the wrong path, the problem statement probably implies that the rod is rigid as we all have a rigid thing in mind when we talk about a rod.

Likes Kaguro
Okay!

Thanks everyone.

Likes Delta2
It is not even clear whether this refers to positional degrees of freedom, kinetic degrees of freedom or both.
It is interesting we are told the rod is massless. Can't think how that is relevant.

haruspex said:
It is not even clear whether this refers to positional degrees of freedom, kinetic degrees of freedom or both.
It is interesting we are told the rod is massless. Can't think how that is relevant.
Well, I found this question in the chapter on Lagrangian mechanics. So I think it refers to only positional DOF, the number of generalized coordinates needed to specify the configuration of the system.
(My bad for not giving out this context)

3 degrees of of freedom. Because it is a particle in the space. At least it is the only way to make the statement of the problem correct.
Else you will get degenerate kinetic energy in the Lagrange equations

Last edited:
wrobel said:
3 degrees of of freedom. Because it a particle in space. At least it is only way to make the statement of the problem correct.
Else you will get degenerate kinetic energy in the Lagrange equations
Are you saying that because the rod is massless it is irrelevant to the degrees of freedom?

haruspex said:
Are you saying that because the rod is massless it is irrelevant to the degrees of freedom?
It is not exactly what I said.

Assuming the rod is parallel to x axis.
For now, particle is at center of the rod.

If the rod moves right by δx, and particle moves left by δx, does this constitute a new state?

Likes Delta2
We do not have dynamical equations to describe rotation of the massless rod

Kaguro said:
Well, I found this question in the chapter on Lagrangian mechanics. So I think it refers to only positional DOF, the number of generalized coordinates needed to specify the configuration of the system.
(My bad for not giving out this context)
Can you write the name of book please?

1. What is the concept of degrees of freedom in relation to a particle and a rod?

Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent variables that can be varied in a system without changing its state. In the case of a particle and a rod, the degrees of freedom would depend on the number of variables that can be changed without affecting the overall state of the system.

2. How many degrees of freedom are there for a particle and a rod?

For a particle and a rod system, there are typically three degrees of freedom. This means that there are three independent variables that can be changed without altering the overall state of the system. These variables could include the position, orientation, or velocity of the particle and the rod.

3. Can the degrees of freedom change for a particle and a rod?

Yes, the degrees of freedom can change for a particle and a rod system. This can happen if external forces or constraints are applied to the system, which can limit the number of variables that can be changed without affecting the overall state. For example, if the rod is fixed at one end, it would have fewer degrees of freedom compared to when it is free to move in all directions.

4. How do degrees of freedom affect the motion of a particle and a rod?

The degrees of freedom can affect the motion of a particle and a rod by determining the possible movements and constraints of the system. For instance, a system with more degrees of freedom would have more possible movements compared to a system with fewer degrees of freedom. This can impact the complexity and range of motion of the system.

5. Can degrees of freedom be calculated for more complex systems involving particles and rods?

Yes, degrees of freedom can be calculated for more complex systems involving particles and rods. The calculation would depend on the number of particles and rods in the system, as well as any external forces or constraints. In general, the degrees of freedom for a system can be determined by subtracting the number of constraints from the total number of possible variables that can be changed.