1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Delta function in spherical coords

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If we have a delta function in cartesian coords, how do we convert it into spherical.
    for example : delta (r) = delta(x-x0) delta(y-y0) delta(z-z0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used
    delta (r) = delta(r-r0) delta(cos{theta}-cos{theta0}) delta (phi-phi0)/(r sin{theta})^2

How do we find r0,cos{theta0} and phi0, if what im using is the right formula.

do we use:

z= r cos{theta}
    y= r sin{theta} cos {phi}
    x= r sin {theta} sin {phi}

and then say the delta function is non-zero if x=x0 or x0=r sin {theta} sin {phi}
    and so on and then solve fir r, cos{theta} and phi?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by writing it in spherical coordinates. The Delta function is 0 if [itex]\rho[/itex] (your r) is non-zero.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    If you were working in polar coordinates for example, the 'obvious' thing to do would be to write [tex]\delta = \delta \left( r \right)[/tex] but this is incorrect since the delta function would not satisfy all of the required properties. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but in cylindrical coordinates you define the delta function as something like [tex]\delta \left( {x,y} \right) = \frac{{\delta \left( r \right)}}{{2\pi r}}[/tex].

I would imagine that the delta function would be defined in a similar way for spherical coordinates. My guess would be that the 2*pi*r would be replaced by 4*pi*r in spherical coordinates.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
  6. Dec 3, 2007 #5

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Lorna, your solution is correct, but you should really write the left-hand side as
    [tex]\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)[/tex]
    This is sometimes written as
    [tex]\delta^3(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)[/tex]
    to emphasize that this is a 3-dimensional delta function

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  7. Dec 3, 2007 #6
    thanks all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?