Denominator in cosmological constant term in Newtonian gravity

In summary, the authors of "General relativity: an introduction for physicists" derive Newtonian gravity from the Einstein field equations (EFE). They then provide a statement which shows that inserting in the cosmological constant leads to a gravitational field given by \vec{g}=-\nabla\Phi=-\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\hat{\vec{r}}+\frac{\Lambda c^{2}r}{3}\hat{\vec{r}}, where the factor of 1/3 comes from integrating Λr2. While intuition can be useful for approximate calculations, determining exact numerical factors often requires mathematical calculations. One of Einstein's equations for spherical symmetry, d(r g00)/dr = 1
Messenger
In General relativity: an introduction for physicists, the authors derive Newtonian gravity from the EFE, but then they also give a short statement that inserting in the cosmological constant derives down to:
[tex]
\vec{g}=-\nabla\Phi=-\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\hat{\vec{r}}+\frac{\Lambda c^{2}r}{3}\hat{\vec{r}}.
[/tex]

I don't see how they end up with a 3 in the denominator. Probably am missing something simple. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, the factor of 1/3 comes from integrating Λr2. :smile:

Seriously, I don't think you can expect an intuitive motivation for each factor of two or three. Intuition is great for order of magnitude estimates, or determining minus signs, but to get right down to an actual numerical factor you usually just need to plow through the math.

One of Einstein's equations for spherical symmetry happens to be d(r g00)/dr = 1 - Λr2, and the solution for g00 has a 1/3 in it.

Heh, I wish it was just the integration (and maybe it just is :redface:). Anyway, I should probably post how I think it is done here and maybe someone can pinpoint where my confusion lies (or more likely I will just end up embarrassing myself :-p).

Related to Denominator in cosmological constant term in Newtonian gravity

1. What is the denominator in the cosmological constant term in Newtonian gravity?

The denominator in the cosmological constant term in Newtonian gravity is the product of the gravitational constant, the speed of light squared, and the square of the cosmological constant.

2. How is the denominator in the cosmological constant term related to the expansion of the universe?

The denominator in the cosmological constant term is related to the expansion of the universe through the cosmological constant, which is a measure of the energy density of empty space. This energy density is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. What does the denominator in the cosmological constant term represent?

The denominator in the cosmological constant term represents the energy density of empty space, also known as vacuum energy. This energy is thought to contribute to the overall energy budget of the universe and may play a role in the expansion of the universe.

4. How does the denominator in the cosmological constant term affect the strength of gravity?

The denominator in the cosmological constant term affects the strength of gravity by adding an additional term to the Newtonian gravitational potential. This term is small compared to the other terms in the potential, but it becomes significant at large distances, such as those between galaxies.

5. Why is the denominator in the cosmological constant term important in understanding the universe?

The denominator in the cosmological constant term is important in understanding the universe because it is thought to be the source of the mysterious dark energy that is driving the accelerating expansion of the universe. By studying this term and its effects on gravity, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the fundamental properties of the universe and its evolution.