Dense orbits of irrational n-tuples in n-Torus

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter claybaby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Irrational Orbits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
claybaby
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey all, this is my first post! (Although I've found a lot of useful answers here during the past).
I have been trying to prove this fact, which is widely stated in literature and relatively well-known, about density of orbits of irrational n-tuples in the n-torus. My question is this: If
[itex]a=(a_1,...,a_n)[/itex], with a_i irrational, and all rationally independent, show that the orbit {qa}_{q \in Z} is dense in the n-torus. Here qa = (qa_1,...,qa_n).

For some background, if n=1, then it is not hard to show that (qa)mod1 (as q moves through the integers) is dense in [0,1). I can also show a similar result when n is 2, but I want to extend this and it's driving me nuts since it's referenced everywhere but I can't find a solid proof!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is in Thierry Aubin's book A Course in Differential Geometry !