Did I Understand the 18-karat Gold Problem Wrong?

• Thread starter PascalPanther
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
You will need to take into account the densities of the other metals to find the correct overall density.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the overall density of an 18-karat gold alloy, which contains 75% pure gold, 16% silver, and 9% copper. The person initially thought they understood the problem, but their answer was incorrect. They realized that they had only considered the volume of the metals, not their densities, and needed to factor this in to find the correct answer.
PascalPanther
I thought I understood this problem, but my answer is wrong.

"In a sample of 18-karat gold, 75 percent of the total mass is pure gold, while the rest is typically 16 percent silver and 9 percent copper. If the density of pure gold is 19.3 g/cm^3, while the densities of silver and copper are respectively 10.5 g/cm^3 and 8.90 g/cm^3, what is the overall density of this alloy of 18-karat gold?"

So I understand that 18-karat gold is 75% gold because it is 18 parts out of 24, with the other 6 parts made up of silver and copper, equaling 100%. So it made sense to me, to do this:
Gold: (0.75)(19.3 g/cm^3) = 14.475 g/cm^3
Silver: (0.16)(10.5 g/cm^3) = 1.68 g/cm^3
Copper: (0.09)(8.9 g/cm^3) = 0.801 g/cm^3
Then I added them: 16.96 = 17.0 g/cm^3

This is wrong, isn't that what it is asking for? Did I understand the question wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
75% of the mass is gold, but you have been working with 75% of volume.

I can confirm that your understanding of the 18-karat gold problem is correct. However, there may have been a calculation error in your answer. When adding the densities of gold, silver, and copper, the correct answer should be 16.956 g/cm^3, not 17.0 g/cm^3. This small difference may have led to your incorrect answer. It is also important to note that the overall density of this alloy of 18-karat gold is not exactly 16.96 g/cm^3, but rather a more precise value of 16.956 g/cm^3. Therefore, it is crucial to be precise in calculations when dealing with scientific problems. I suggest double-checking your calculations and also verifying the accuracy of the given densities to ensure the correct answer.

What is the 18-karat Gold Problem?

The 18-karat Gold Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the weight of an object made of 18-karat gold, given its dimensions and density.

Why is it called the "18-karat Gold Problem"?

The problem is called the "18-karat Gold Problem" because it involves an object made of 18-karat gold, which is a type of gold alloy that is 75% pure gold and 25% other metals.

What do I need to know to solve the 18-karat Gold Problem?

To solve the 18-karat Gold Problem, you will need to know the dimensions of the object, the density of 18-karat gold, and the formula for calculating the weight of an object.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve the 18-karat Gold Problem?

Some common mistakes people make when solving the 18-karat Gold Problem include using the wrong formula, using the wrong density for 18-karat gold, and incorrectly converting units of measurement.

Are there any real-world applications for the 18-karat Gold Problem?

Yes, the 18-karat Gold Problem has real-world applications in fields such as jewelry making and precious metal industries, where accurate measurements of gold objects are necessary for pricing and production purposes.