1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Density of states in QM

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Hi. I'm studying the transition rates between a state a and a state b in the continuos level.
    In the book "Physics of atoms and molecules" by Bransden and Joachain it is said:
    We have to calculate the density of final states. To do this let the volume V be a cube of side L. We can impose periodic boundary conditions on the wave function, that is:
    [tex]k_x=\frac{2\pi}{L}n_x[/tex]
    [tex]k_y=\frac{2\pi}{L}n_y[/tex]
    [tex]k_z=\frac{2\pi}{L}n_z[/tex]
    where nx, ny and nz are positive or negative integers, or zero. Since L is very large we can treat nx, ny and nz as continuous variables, and the number of states in the range d[tex]\vec{k}=dk_xdk_ydk_z[/tex] is:
    [tex]dn_xdn_ydn_z=\left(\frac{L}{2\pi}\right)^3dk_xdk_ydk_z=\left(\frac{L}{2\pi}\right)^3k^2dkd\Omega[/tex]

I can't understand the last equality, [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the solid angle, but how do I relate it to [tex]dk_xdk_ydk_z[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is nothing tricky, it is just spherical coordinates.

[tex]d^3k = k^2dkd\Omega = k^2\sin{\theta}dkd\theta d\phi.[/tex]

If nothing depends on angle, then the solid angle can be integrated out to give a factor of 4pi.

(Edit: Actually you also need to divide by 8. All the n's are >0, whereas the factor of 4pi assumes that k can be negative and positive).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Thank you!:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook