Depletion zone and current in forward-biased PN junction

In summary, the conversation discussed PN junctions and the effects of forward-biasing. It was noted that forward-biasing reduces the depletion width by pushing holes in P-type and electrons in N-type forward junctions. The question was raised about the true identity of current in forward-bias and whether it consists of both diffusion and drift current, or just one of them. The speaker also apologized for posting the same question twice and asked for guidance on deleting posts.
goodphy
Hello.

I've learned that in PN junction, forward-biasing pushes holes in P-type and electrons in N-type forward junctions so depletion width is reduced. Is it due to that in N-type (P-type), pushed electrons (holes) are recombined with holes (electrons) in depletion zone?

And what is true identity of current in forward-bias? In this biasing, I guess there are two kinds of current; charge carrier diffusion due to carrier concentration imbalance at the junction (diffusion current) and drifted carrier pushed by external field in biasing (drift current). Is forward-biasing current consisted of both types of current or one of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not post the same question twice!

PietKuip said:
Do not post the same question twice!

I'm sorry but I didn't know how to remove my uploaded post. So I had no choice but upload the question to other more relevant forum.

Could you tell me how to delete post?

What is a depletion zone in a PN junction?

A depletion zone is an area in a PN junction where there is a lack of free charge carriers due to the diffusion of electrons and holes across the junction. This depletion of charge carriers creates an electric field that prevents further diffusion and establishes a barrier between the p-type and n-type materials.

How does a forward-biased PN junction affect the depletion zone?

When a PN junction is forward-biased, the depletion zone becomes thinner as the electric field is weakened by the applied voltage. This allows for more diffusion of charge carriers across the junction, resulting in a current flowing through the junction.

What is the current flow in a forward-biased PN junction?

The current flow in a forward-biased PN junction is due to the movement of charge carriers from the p-type material to the n-type material. This current is often referred to as forward current and increases with the applied voltage until it reaches a saturation point.

How does temperature affect the depletion zone and current in a forward-biased PN junction?

An increase in temperature can cause the depletion zone to become wider, as more charge carriers are thermally excited and diffuse across the junction. This can decrease the current flow in a forward-biased PN junction, as there are fewer charge carriers available for diffusion.

What is the difference between a forward-biased and reverse-biased PN junction?

In a forward-biased PN junction, the p-type material is connected to the positive terminal of a voltage source and the n-type material is connected to the negative terminal. This allows for current flow through the junction. In a reverse-biased PN junction, the p-type material is connected to the negative terminal and the n-type material is connected to the positive terminal, which results in a wider depletion zone and very little current flow.