DEQ/Algebra Question Solve for t

• Thread starter Fish Sauce
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in solving for t in an equation that is part of a DEQ question. The relevant equation is \frac{\sqrt{31}}{150}=e^{-2t}\sin(2\sqrt{31}t) and the only way to solve for t is numerically. The individual expressing the difficulty is grateful for the help provided.
Fish Sauce
Solved: DEQ/Algebra Question Solve for t

Homework Statement

Greetings,

I am having difficulty solving for t in the equation below. It is part of a DEQ question that asks at which time t does damped oscillation amplitude fall below a certain value. The relevant equation is below. My main problem is that I am having difficulty solving for t since t is a product of e and the sin function.

Homework Equations

[itex]
\frac{\sqrt{31}}{150}=e^{-2t}\sin(2\sqrt{31}t)
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to take ln of both sides produces the following, which I am still at a loss as how to solve for t.
[itex]
\ln{\frac{\sqrt{31}}{150}}=-2t+\ln(\sin(2\sqrt{31}t))
[/itex]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fish Sauce said:

Homework Statement

Greetings,

I am having difficulty solving for t in the equation below. It is part of a DEQ question that asks at which time t does damped oscillation amplitude fall below a certain value. The relevant equation is below. My main problem is that I am having difficulty solving for t since t is a product of e and the sin function.

Homework Equations

[itex]
\frac{\sqrt{31}}{150}=e^{-2t}\sin(2\sqrt{31}t)
[/itex]

The only way to solve that for t would be numerically.

LCKurtz said:
The only way to solve that for t would be numerically.

Thank you LCKurtz.

I thought I was overlooking a simple algebraic solution and was losing hair over this!

Thanks again!

FAQ: DEQ/Algebra Question Solve for t

1. What is DEQ and how does it relate to algebra?

DEQ stands for differential equations, which is a mathematical concept that involves solving equations involving derivatives. It is related to algebra in that it uses algebraic techniques to find solutions to these equations.

2. What is the process for solving for t in a DEQ/algebra question?

The process for solving for t in a DEQ/algebra question varies depending on the specific equation. In general, you will need to use algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation and isolate t on one side. Then, you may need to use methods such as separation of variables or substitution to find the value of t.

3. Can you give an example of a DEQ/algebra question and explain how to solve for t?

Sure, an example of a DEQ/algebra question is: y = x + 2t, where y' = 1 and y(0) = 3. To solve for t, we first take the derivative of the equation to get y' = 1 = 2. Then, we can plug in the given values for y' and y(0) to get 1 = 2 + 2t. Solving for t, we get t = -1/2.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving for t in a DEQ/algebra question?

Yes, some common mistakes to watch out for include forgetting to use the chain rule when taking the derivative, making algebraic errors when manipulating the equation, and not properly considering initial conditions. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of these potential pitfalls.

5. How is solving for t in a DEQ/algebra question useful in real-world applications?

Solving for t in a DEQ/algebra question is useful in many real-world applications, such as modeling the spread of diseases, predicting population growth, and analyzing chemical reactions. By finding the value of t, we can better understand and make predictions about these systems and phenomena.

Back