Are Road Construction Projects Causing More Harm Than Good?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary: Actually, the really fun one I encounter every so often is a left-hand merge onto an interstate to cross a bridge into KY, with a right-hand exit I need to take just on the other side of the bridge...getting across 4 lanes of traffic with people merging in from every direction and not paying any attention to the other drivers is quite an adventure (that's when I'm glad I learned to drive in NJ).
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone visited the Derby Eastbound services on the A50 lately?

I was disgusted at the poor signposting to the car park, and the confusing location of the gents' toilets (sandwiched between the Little Chef and the Burger King).

Does nobody share my anguish?

Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
Anyone visited the Derby Eastbound services on the A50 lately?
That's specifically why I avoid the UK. :biggrin:

brewnog said:
I was disgusted at the poor signposting to the car park, and the confusing location of the gents' toilets (sandwiched between the Little Chef and the Burger King).
Sounds like the turnpikes in northern New Jersey (near NY City). :biggrin: In some places, one must go right to go left.

brewnog said:
Does nobody share my anguish?
I share your pain. :cry: What's the world coming to?

Im afraid i try not to venture too far north of winchester.

That's very generous of you, sticking to your side of the border.

Hadrian had the right idea...

It starts to smell funny that far up north.

Astronuc said:
Sounds like the turnpikes in northern New Jersey (near NY City). :biggrin: In some places, one must go right to go left.

Hey! You have to go right to go left in all places in NJ. It's actually one of the things they've gotten right with the roads. It was a great shock to me when I left NJ and discovered you have to guess in advance which lane your exit will be in (how would you know if it's supposed to be a right or left if you've never been there before?) In NJ, if your exit is coming up, you get to the right lane. It does help ease up congestion because all the traffic merging on and off is in the right lane and through traffic can stay to the left.

I missed my exit on the NJ turnpike once and ended up in Norway.

Moonbear said:
In NJ, if your exit is coming up, you get to the right lane. It does help ease up congestion because all the traffic merging on and off is in the right lane and through traffic can stay to the left.

I thought this was the standard throughout the country.

I've only seen maybe five exits that were on the left ever, and none of them were on interstates. I've driven and ridden across a good 8, 000 distinct miles of freeways and highways.

Parsippiny NJ has a lot of Jug handle intersections which take some getting used to, that is the only place I have ever encountered them. It that what you mean by getting in the right lane to turn left?

Integral said:
Parsippiny NJ has a lot of Jug handle intersections which take some getting used to, that is the only place I have ever encountered them. It that what you mean by getting in the right lane to turn left?

Yep.

franz, I think CA had the idea before NJ did. My understanding is that's where NJ got the idea to adopt it from. Out here in between the two coasts, there are a lot of left-hand exits. Actually, the really fun one I encounter every so often is a left-hand merge onto an interstate to cross a bridge into KY, with a right-hand exit I need to take just on the other side of the bridge...getting across 4 lanes of traffic with people merging in from every direction and not paying any attention to the other drivers is quite an adventure (that's when I'm glad I learned to drive in NJ).

Jughandles are a huge improvement over things like left-turn lanes. There are just too many cars on the roads in NJ to ever be able to make a left turn safely, and the jughandles get the cars off the highway while they are waiting for a light to assist them. The jughandles also handle the U-turn traffic. Most highways are divided highways (safety barriers became necessary), and limiting the number of places you could turn left means you often need to pass what you're trying to get to and make a U-turn onto the other side of the highway to get to what you want to get to. It sounds inconvenient and strange to those here in the midwest who are used to having left turn lanes everywhere and no dividers on roads, but it's impossible to turn left across a 3 or 4 lane highway if there is no traffic signal to ever stop the heavy traffic (nobody is going to stop there to let you across).

Moonbear said:
franz, I think CA had the idea before NJ did. My understanding is that's where NJ got the idea to adopt it from. Out here in between the two coasts, there are a lot of left-hand exits.

Really? I've driven as far east as Iowa and Minnesota, but the only place I've ever seen them was one a freeway in ventura county (i think that's where it was. i know it wasn't an interstate)

\t sounds inconvenient and strange to those here in the midwest who are used to having left turn lanes everywhere and no dividers on roads

I hate midwest highways so much. Two lane interstates are just not my idea of good civil engineerings.

franznietzsche said:
I hate midwest highways so much. Two lane interstates are just not my idea of good civil engineerings.

Why? There's no need for any more lanes when there are only 2 cars on them at a time. Of course, those two lane interstates could be even better, if you're willing to drive on them while one lane is closed off for the next 20 years while they expand the highway. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Why? There's no need for any more lanes when there are only 2 cars on them at a time. Of course, those two lane interstates could be even better, if you're willing to drive on them while one lane is closed off for the next 20 years while they expand the highway. :biggrin:

Because when I'm driving 80, and the oncomoing is driving 80, there should be a k-rail in between. Its simple safety.

And yeah, driving through wyoming in the summer, half the interstate is closed for construction and repair for the 3 months they can do anything, and you've got 50 mile detours.

What are Derby Eastbound services?

Derby Eastbound services are train services that depart from the city of Derby in the United Kingdom and travel eastward towards other destinations.

What destinations do Derby Eastbound services travel to?

Derby Eastbound services travel to various destinations including Nottingham, London, Sheffield, Leeds, and Newcastle upon Tyne.

How frequent are Derby Eastbound services?

The frequency of Derby Eastbound services varies depending on the destination and the time of day. However, on average, there are approximately 10-15 services per day.

How long is the journey on Derby Eastbound services?

The length of the journey on Derby Eastbound services also varies depending on the destination. For example, a journey to Nottingham can take approximately 30 minutes, while a journey to London can take around 2 hours.

Can I purchase tickets for Derby Eastbound services online?

Yes, tickets for Derby Eastbound services can be purchased online through various ticketing websites or through the official website of the train operator. It is recommended to purchase tickets in advance to secure a seat and potentially save money.

Back