How to derive eq.3.34 in Lancaster's QFT book for beginners?

• Thread starter anklimekruk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: Maybe ##E_p## is the Energie in the momentum which replaces ##\hbar w_k## in 2.41.There is no more explanation in the book for as much as I can see.In my eyes it must be the notation for the integral version of the discrete case of eq 2.41.I must of course convince myself that it is mathematicaly correct.More questions will surely arise.I am willing to offer the book to somebody who would like to help me on a regular basis.
anklimekruk

Homework Statement

How to derive eq.3.34 in Lancaster's book QFT for the gifted amateur

Homework Equations

##\hat H= \int d^3 p E_p\hat a\dagger_p\hat a_p##

The Attempt at a Solution

Comparing

Physics news on Phys.org
How to derive the relevant equation ?
By comparing it to eq 2.41 in the book:
##\hat H = \sum_{k=1}^N\hbar\omega_k (\hat a\dagger_k\hat a_k + 1/2)##
I think 3.34 is the integral version of 2.41

I would like to know why my question is left without an answer nor a comment

anklimekruk said:
I would like to know why my question is left without an answer nor a comment
If they are like me, they do not have easy access to that book and so would have nothing useful to say. Perhaps if you wrote out more context and detail some of us could, indeed, figure out what was happening. (Not guaranteed, but just maybe possible.)

Ray Vickson said:
If they are like me, they do not have easy access to that book and so would have nothing useful to say. Perhaps if you wrote out more context and detail some of us could, indeed, figure out what was happening. (Not guaranteed, but just maybe possible.)
I wrote the question so that there is no need for the book

anklimekruk said:
I wrote the question so that there is no need for the book

You mean we don't need to know what is the form of ##E_p## in the integral ##\int d^3 p E_p a_p^+ a_p##?

Ray Vickson said:
You mean we don't need to know what is the form of ##E_p## in the integral ##\int d^3 p E_p a_p^+ a_p##?
Maybe ##E_p## is the Energie in the momentum which replaces ##\hbar w_k## in 2.41.There is no more explanation in the book for as much as I can see.
In my eyes it must be the notation for the integral version of the discrete case of eq 2.41.I must of course convince myself that it is mathematicaly correct.
More questions will surely arise.I am willing to offer the book to somebody who would like to help me on a regular basis.

1. What is the purpose of deriving an equation?

Deriving an equation allows us to understand the relationship between different variables and how they impact each other. It also helps us to make predictions and solve problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. What are the steps involved in deriving an equation?

The steps involved in deriving an equation include identifying the given variables, determining the relationships between the variables, using mathematical operations to manipulate the variables, and finally arriving at the desired equation.

3. Can an equation be derived from any given set of data?

No, not all sets of data can be used to derive an equation. The data must have a pattern or a relationship between the variables in order for an equation to be derived.

4. How precise is an equation derived from experimental data?

The precision of an equation derived from experimental data depends on the accuracy and reliability of the data collected. The more precise and accurate the data, the more precise the derived equation will be.

5. Can an equation be derived for any scientific phenomenon?

Yes, an equation can be derived for most scientific phenomena as long as there is a relationship between the variables involved. However, some phenomena may be too complex to be accurately described by a single equation.