Derivation of Continuity Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conservation of mass leads to the continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates. The first term is the outward mass flow rate, and the second term is the change in surface area. To solve the equation, combine the flow rates and divide by the differentialvolume.
jhuleea
Help! I am stuck on the following derivation:

Use the conservation of mass to derive the corresponding continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates.

Please take a look at my work in the following attachments. Thanks! =)

Attachments

• part1.jpg
    part1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4,188
  • part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9,821
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it's in the first attachment where you chose to evaluate only [itex] \rho v_r[/tex] between r and r+dr and not the entire term. You forgot here to include the r, which comes down to taking into account the changing radial velocity but not the change in surface area the fluid flows through.

da_willem,

Thank you thank you thank you! After picking over my work for about a week now, I can't believe I oversaw this rudimentary step!

Your help is greatly appreciated! =)

No problem, glad to be of help.

"the change in surface area the fluid flows through"

that's the one that had me puzzled for ages, too. once you see it though (or at least once it's pointed out) it seems so obvious.

so thanks from me too:biggrin:

Help

Hey, I'm doing the same problem and was wondering if you could possibly post the corrected solution to this problem asap.

Thanks,

James

in the outward mass flow rate expression posted above, the r-plane surface area expands moving outwards, so the 1st term should be (r+dr) dtheta dz (rho vr)...etc.

fix that, then combine flow rates and divide by dV = dr dz dtheta and you're A for away

just want to be sure, should it be like this below?

[tex]dV\frac{d\rho}{dt}=dV\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t}+d\theta dz{[r \rho u_{r}]}\right|^{r+}_{r-}+dr dz{[\rho u_{\theta}]\right|^{\theta +}_{\theta -}}+rd\theta dr {[\rho u_{z}]\right|^{z+}_{z-}}[/tex]

Can i get the whole of the corrected derivation please .

i went to know how i can prove the continuity equation of mass transfer in cylindrical coordinates

1. What is the continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical expression that describes the conservation of mass in a cylindrical system. It states that the rate of change of mass within a control volume must be equal to the net mass flow into or out of the control volume, accounting for any sources or sinks of mass.

2. How is the continuity equation derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates can be derived using the principles of differential calculus and the divergence theorem. By considering a small control volume within a cylindrical system and applying the divergence theorem, the resulting equation represents the rate of change of mass within the control volume. By setting this equation equal to the net mass flow into or out of the control volume, the continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates is obtained.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The derivation of the continuity equation in cylindrical coordinates assumes that the fluid being studied is incompressible, meaning that its density does not change with respect to time or position. It also assumes that the fluid flow is steady and that there are no external sources or sinks of mass within the control volume.

4. Why is the continuity equation important in fluid mechanics?

The continuity equation is important in fluid mechanics because it is a fundamental principle of conservation that applies to all types of fluid flow. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes and channels, and to understand the relationships between flow rate, velocity, and cross-sectional area.

5. Can the continuity equation be applied to other coordinate systems?

Yes, the continuity equation can be applied to other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian and spherical coordinates. The equation itself remains the same, but the derivatives and variables may differ depending on the coordinate system being used.