Derivation of E=Mc2? For the common man

In summary, the conversation discusses the famous equation E=mc^2 and the desire for a step-by-step derivation that can be easily understood by a lay person. The conversation includes links to Einstein's original derivation and a source explaining the relativistic Doppler equation, which is crucial in understanding the derivation of E=mc^2.
jonatron5
Ok this is perhaps the single most famous equation known to man. And I have basically zero idea how it came to be. I have a slight background in classical physics (a couple college classes)

I know it states that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

I have tried to read online postings on it but have been unable to follow.

So is it possible to get a step by step derivation of this equation so that even a lay person could understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
by the momentum of a particle we can mean the vector p=∂L/∂v, p=mv/√1-v^2/c^2, for small velocities this expression goes over into the classical p=mv. for v=c the momentum becomes infinite. after dp/dt=m/√1-v^2/c^2×dv/dt, if the velocity changes only in magnitude, that is, if the force is parallel to the velocity, dp/dt=m/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2+dv/dt. the energy of the particle - E=p×v-L, then E=mc^2/√1-v^2/c^2, v=0 ⇒ E=mc^2

Likes Delta2
Here's Einstein's original derivation in translation: https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/E_mc2/www/

To make sense of it, you have to either accept the relativistic Doppler equation he invokes or seek out a derivation of that, first. I like this one: https://www.lsw.uni-heidelberg.de/users/mcamenzi/DopplerAberration.pdf (though you'll need to be comfortable with the basics of special relativity, especially the Lorentz transformation).

What is the meaning of E=Mc2?

E=Mc2 is a famous equation developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It states that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

How was E=Mc2 derived?

E=Mc2 was derived by Einstein in 1905 through his theory of special relativity. He was able to show that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and that they are interchangeable.

Why is E=Mc2 important?

E=Mc2 is important because it changed our understanding of the universe and revolutionized modern physics. It led to the development of nuclear energy and has been used in many other applications, such as in nuclear medicine and space exploration.

Can E=Mc2 be proven?

Yes, E=Mc2 has been tested and proven through numerous experiments and observations. The equation has been confirmed to be accurate and is considered one of the most well-established and fundamental principles of physics.

How does E=Mc2 relate to everyday life?

E=Mc2 may seem like a complex concept, but it has practical applications in everyday life. For example, it explains how nuclear energy is produced and how the sun releases energy through nuclear fusion. It also plays a role in technologies such as GPS and medical imaging.