Derivation of energy stored in a capacitor

In summary, the energy stored in a capacitor is equal to the work done to charge it. The equation to find the work required is easy to compute in the case of a capacitance held by a uniform electric field.
gutti
Trying to understand the derivation of energy stored in a capacitor:

The energy (measured in Joules) stored in a capacitor is equal to the work done to charge it. Consider a capacitance C, holding a charge +q on one plate and -q on the other. Moving a small element of charge dq from one plate to the other against the potential difference V = q/C requires the work dW:

dW = q/ C dq

where

W is the work measured in joules

q is the charge measured in coulombs

C is the capacitance, measured in farads

The dq doesn't seem to fit for me. It just seems as if someone put it there for the derivation to work and their is no basis for it being there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you used to the formula of the energy stored in an electirc field

[tex]W = \frac{\varepsilon_0}{2} \int \limits_\mathcal{V} \mathrm dr^3 ~ \vec E^{\, 2}(\vec r)[/tex]​

?

Last edited:
Thats a bit complex.
Im trying to understand the derivation for basic equation of energy stored in a capacitor.
E = 0.5 CV^2
or E = 0.5 Q^2/C

Last edited:
gutti said:
The dq doesn't seem to fit for me. It just seems as if someone put it there for the derivation to work and their is no basis for it being there.
Do you understand how to find the work required to move a charge through a potential difference? Since the voltage changes as the charge accumulates you need to look at the increment of work, dW = Vdq. (If the voltage were constant, the work would simply equal VQ.)

Maybe you know that the electric field is crucial for your consideration!?

I know that's slightly abstract, but the energy is not stored in the capacitor itself. It is stored in the electric field (only the sources and sinks of the electric field are located on the capacitor's plates).

In my opinion all other derivations want to bypass this abstract point of view.

But you have luck, that the equation i have stated is easy to compute in the case you have mentioned!
You know that in the plate capacitor there is a uniform electric field (doesn't depend on the position within the plates), so we can write the expression as

[tex]W = \frac{\varepsilon_0}{2} \, \vec E^2 \, \int \limits_\mathcal{V} ~ \mathrm dr^3[/tex]​

(by the way, i think W is a much better designation for the energy than E, I'm sorry for that).
The volume of the plate capacitor is

[tex]V = \int \limits_\mathcal{V} ~ \mathrm dr^3 = A \cdot d[/tex]​

and the magnitude of the electric field is

[tex]|\vec E| = \frac{V}{d}[/tex]​

this applied to the formula stated above yields

[tex]W = \frac{\varepsilon_0}{2} \, \Bigl(\frac{V}{d}\Bigr)^2 \, A \cdot d = \frac{1}{2} \, V^2 ~ \varepsilon_0 \cdot \frac{A}{d} = \frac{1}{2} V^2 C[/tex]​

The last term is actually valid for all capacitors of any geometry.

I hope, I've teased you!?

with best regars

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It typically consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How is energy stored in a capacitor?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, it charges by accumulating electrical charge on its plates. This accumulation of charge creates an electric field between the plates, and the energy is stored in this field.

3. What is the equation for energy stored in a capacitor?

The equation for energy stored in a capacitor is E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy (in joules), C is the capacitance (in farads), and V is the voltage across the capacitor (in volts).

4. How does the capacitance affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The higher the capacitance, the more charge can be stored on the plates, resulting in a higher energy storage capacity. In other words, the larger the capacitance, the more energy can be stored in a capacitor.

5. Can the energy stored in a capacitor be discharged?

Yes, the energy stored in a capacitor can be discharged by connecting it to a circuit. When the capacitor is discharged, the energy is released from the electric field and flows through the circuit, powering any connected components.