Derivation of Lienard-Wiechart

Main Question or Discussion Point

Can anyone point me to a derivation of the Lienard-Wiechart potential formulas? I assume that they can be derived from Maxwell's equations alone.

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

That is very helpful, thank you.

A follow-up question, if I may:

What makes

[tex]

( \frac {\phi }{c} , A^x , A^y , A^z )

[/tex]

a four-vector? That is, why is applying a Lorentz transformation to it vaild? Is the electric potential somehow the time-component of the magnetic potential? Is

[tex]

\vec B = \nabla \times \vec A

[/tex]

still valid if A is four dimensional? Is the curl of a four-dimensional vector field even defined?

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is

[tex]

\vec B = \nabla \times \vec A

[/tex]

still valid if A is four dimensional? Is the curl of a four-dimensional vector field even defined?
The analog of that equation is Fαβ = ∂αAβ - ∂βAα. The thing on the right is the four dimensional curl. The thing on the left is the Farady tensor.

clem
Science Advisor
That is very helpful, thank you.
What makes
[tex]
( \frac {\phi }{c} , A^x , A^y , A^z )
[/tex]
a four-vector? That is, why is applying a Lorentz transformation to it valid? Is the electric potential somehow the time-component of the magnetic potential?
[tex](\phi,{\vec A})[/tex] is chosen to be a 4-vector in a LT so that the continuity equation
[tex]\partial_\mu A^\mu=0[/tex] will hold in any LT so charge conservation will hold in any Loentz system.
They are no longer called the electric and magnetic potential, but just the 4-vector potential.

The thing on the right is the four dimensional curl.
OK, good. Thanks.

[tex](\phi,{\vec A})[/tex] is chosen to be a 4-vector in a LT so that the continuity equation [tex]\partial_\mu A^\mu=0[/tex] will hold in any LT so charge conservation will hold in any Loentz system.
I'm sorry - could you re-word this? I'm not sure I get your meaning.