1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Lienard-Wiechart

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Can anyone point me to a derivation of the Lienard-Wiechart potential formulas? I assume that they can be derived from Maxwell's equations alone.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    That is very helpful, thank you.

A follow-up question, if I may:

What makes

[tex]

( \frac {\phi }{c} , A^x , A^y , A^z )

[/tex]

a four-vector? That is, why is applying a Lorentz transformation to it vaild? Is the electric potential somehow the time-component of the magnetic potential? Is

[tex]

\vec B = \nabla \times \vec A

[/tex]

still valid if A is four dimensional? Is the curl of a four-dimensional vector field even defined?

5. May 11, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The analog of that equation is Fαβ = ∂αAβ - ∂βAα. The thing on the right is the four dimensional curl. The thing on the left is the Farady tensor.

6. May 11, 2009 #5

clem

Science Advisor

[tex](\phi,{\vec A})[/tex] is chosen to be a 4-vector in a LT so that the continuity equation
    [tex]\partial_\mu A^\mu=0[/tex] will hold in any LT so charge conservation will hold in any Loentz system.
    They are no longer called the electric and magnetic potential, but just the 4-vector potential.

7. May 11, 2009 #6
    OK, good. Thanks.

I'm sorry - could you re-word this? I'm not sure I get your meaning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook