Derivation of parametric function

In summary: The answer is supposed to be -1/a(1-cos(t))^2Whatever I do, I don't get an answer including a.If you can get this I'd be surprised :smile:
kasse
I get the first derivative correct, but what's wrong with my attempt to find the second derivative?

http://www.badongo.com/pic/421533

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) the bottom line is wrong

should be [tex] \frac {cos(t)-1}{(1-cos(t))^2}[/tex]

and b) you need to further simplify to get the answer.

EDIT:

What is [tex]1-cos^2 (39)[/tex] what is [tex](1-cos(39))^2[/tex]

Thus.

[tex](1-cos(t))(1+cos(t))\not= 1-cos{^2}(t)[/tex]

Last edited:
You have a mistake in the denominator: [tex](1-cost)^2 \not=1-cos^2t[/tex]

Schrodinger's Dog said:

and b) you need to further simplify to get the answer.

EDIT:

What is [tex]1-cos^2 (39)[/tex] what is [tex](1-cos(39))^2[/tex]

Thus.

[tex](1-cos(t))(1+cos(t)\not= 1-cos{^2}(t)[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be -1/a(1-(cos(t))^2)
Whatever I do, I don't get an answer including a.

Schrodinger's Dog said:

OK, but this is the right answer, just that I have to simplify?

kasse said:
OK, but this is the right answer, just that I have to simplify?

Yep, expand the denominator, and then simplify from there. Your answer is correct apart from the obvious mistake, but it's often better to present the most simple form.

kasse said:
The answer is supposed to be -1/a(1-(cos(t))^2)
Whatever I do, I don't get an answer including a.

If you can get this I'd be surprised :smile:

Your first answer is better than this.

[tex] \frac{cos(t)-1}{(1-cos(t))^2}[/tex] correct.

the simplified answer is:-

[tex]\frac {1}{(cos(t)-1)}[/tex]

Can you work out how you would get this simplification from expanding the denominator in your first answer? -1 as the numerator, is correct but it can be made even simpler.

Last edited:
Well, my book says:

second derivative = ((cos t)(1-cos t) - (sin t)(sin t))
/ ((1-cos t)^2*a(1-cos t))

= -1/(a(1-cos t)^2)

Heres the page http://www.badongo.com/pic/422090 (example 6)

Mystic...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'll check my result with someone else, but I'm pretty sure on this one. a is a constant and since 3 sin(29)/3 cos(29) is the same as saying sin/cos I don't see why it belongs in the second order derivative.

Try integrating the result of your first answer?

[tex] \frac {cos(t)-1}{(1-cos(t))^2}[/tex]

What do you end up with?

I checked it on a maths website and:-

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \frac {sin (t)}{1-cos(t)} = \frac {1}{(cos(t)-1)}dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog is correct. There appears to be a factor of y in the denominator of the middle term. This is a typo.

cristo said:
Schrodinger's Dog is correct. There appears to be a factor of y in the denominator of the middle term. This is a typo.

Just goes to show everyones human, even the editors and authors of textbooks.

I also asked someone else where I work, since I work in a med physics dept, there's usally someone around who still remembers doing calculus without breaking into a cold sweat and they said I was right.

Cool, I beat the textbook! :biggrin:

Well kind of, but you made a typo of your own, you just needed to simplify after expanding the denominator
(1-cos(t))^2 which is (1-cos(t))(1+cos(t)), of course you can check this by multiplying.

[tex] \frac {cos(t)-1}{(1-cos(t))^2} => \frac {cos(t)-1}{(1-cos(t))(1+cos(t))} => \frac {-1}{1-cos(t)} => \frac {1}{cos(t)-1}[/tex]

Last edited:
How about this one:

x=(cos t)^3
y=(sin t)^3

dy/dx = -tan t
(dy/dx)' = -1/(cos t)^2

Right?

I can simply derivate the dy/dx function even if it's a function of t and not x?

I think the book is right after all. Formula nr. (5) is correct, and that's why you also have to multiply with a(1-cos t) in the denominator, since dx/dt = a(1-cos t)

Yes, sorry, I wasn't really looking at this properly the first time, and just glanced at Schrodinger's Dog's attempt and it looked right; however it is not. What he was doing was taking [tex]\frac{d^2y/dt^2}{d^2x/dt^2}[/tex], however this is of course not correct, since this does not equal d2y/dx2. You should follow your textbook. The correct way to approach the second derivative is to use the chain rule; letting y'=dy/dx: [tex]\frac{dy'}{dt}=\frac{dy'}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] which then gives the formula for the second derivative of y wrt x:[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{dy'/dt}{dx/dt}[/tex].

Sorry for advising incorrectly!

kasse said:
How about this one:

x=(cos t)^3
y=(sin t)^3

dy/dx = -tan t
dy'/dt = -1/(cos t)^2

Right?

I can simply derivate the dy/dx function even if it's a function of t and not x?

No, this is not correct. The red part above is dy'/dt. Plug this into the formula for the second derivative with respect to x.

cristo said:
Yes, sorry, I wasn't really looking at this properly the first time, and just glanced at Schrodinger's Dog's attempt and it looked right; however it is not. What he was doing was taking [tex]\frac{d^2y/dt^2}{d^2x/dt^2}[/tex], however this is of course not correct, since this does not equal d2y/dx2. You should follow your textbook. The correct way to approach the second derivative is to use the chain rule; letting y'=dy/dx: [tex]\frac{dy'}{dt}=\frac{dy'}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] which then gives the formula for the second derivative of y wrt x:[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{dy'/dt}{dx/dt}[/tex].

Sorry for advising incorrectly!

That's my fault I could not read his textbook or the question properly, I think I need an eye test, apologies.

also I simply typed the equation in the first part in and got the first and second derivative without a. Which is my answer, but not it seems what the question is asking.

In other words since the first derivative simplified is

[tex]\frac {a(sin-(t))}{a(1-cos(t))} = \frac{sin-(t)}{1-cos(t)}[/tex]

I simply did a derivation of the second part instead of the first.

In other words my answer is the answer you get if you ignore the constant, which of course is not what the question was asking but then I misread it completely anyway. Like I say eye test time :smile:

in real life if I had to derive this particular one.

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} \frac{a(cos(x))}{a(sin(x))}[/tex] as it's the same as saying [tex]\frac{a(2)}{a(4)} = \frac{2}{4}[/tex] if you see what I mean.

I'd ignore the constant a. But this aint real life and that's not what the question wants you to do. Oops apologies. :frown:

Last edited:

1. What is a parametric function?

A parametric function is a mathematical function that uses one or more parameters to define its output. These parameters can vary and affect the shape and behavior of the function.

2. How is a parametric function derived?

A parametric function is derived by expressing the function in terms of one or more parameters, instead of the traditional independent variable. This allows for a more general form of the function and can make it easier to analyze and manipulate.

3. What are the benefits of using parametric functions?

Parametric functions offer more flexibility and can be used to represent a wider range of mathematical concepts. They are also useful for modeling real-world phenomena and can make complex problems more manageable.

4. Can parametric functions be graphed?

Yes, parametric functions can be graphed, but the graph will typically be in the form of a parametric curve rather than a traditional line or curve. This curve can be plotted by varying the parameter values and plotting corresponding points.

5. In what fields are parametric functions commonly used?

Parametric functions are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They can be used to model motion, design complex systems, optimize processes, and more.