Derivation of waveguide condition for two light rays

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equation (6), which involves the distance traveled by two rays with a phase difference due to total internal reflection. The equation is derived as AC - A'C = 2*(a-y)*cos(θm), where θm is the angle at the interface. However, the details of how this equation was obtained are not explained in the content and are left as an exercise for the reader. The conversation also mentions equation (3), but it is not clear what this equation refers to.
loginorsinup
How did they derive equation (6)?

tOtt40d.png

I don't like how they say -Φm instead of Φm, but that aside, I get that both rays 1A and 2A' travel the same distance, but AC incurs a phase change due to total internal reflection (-Φm) and it travels AC from there. Meanwhile, A'C is the distance the other ray travels. So the difference between these two is what sets the phase difference between the two.

Somehow, they made AC - A'C = 2*(a-y)*cos(θm) it seems. I should note that the angle that is split into two by the perpendicular line (really an arrow) is 2θ, so the angle by A, C, and the interface is θ. Beyond that, I don't really know how to approach this. They conveniently said it is left as an exercise for the reader, but that always seems like laziness to me. It's not clear to me where it came from and I've spent several hours trying to "get it."

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I haven't figured this out since I posted, no. I'm still curious where this came from. It's not actually relevant to the rest of the chapter. I think somehow (a-y) might be a hypotenuse? But I don't see it.

What is Equation (3)?

I can provide a possible explanation for how equation (6) was derived. The key concept here is the phase difference between the two light rays. As mentioned, both rays 1A and 2A' travel the same distance, but the phase difference arises due to the total internal reflection at point C. This phase difference can be expressed as -Φm, where Φm is the phase change incurred by the ray at point C.

To determine the value of Φm, we need to consider the path difference between the two rays. The path difference is the difference in distance traveled by the two rays. In this case, the path difference can be expressed as:

AC - A'C = 2*(a-y)*cos(θm)

Where a is the width of the waveguide and y is the distance from the interface to the point where the two rays intersect. This path difference is equal to the phase difference, as one full wavelength corresponds to a phase change of 2π. Therefore, we can write:

-Φm = 2*(a-y)*cos(θm)

This can be rearranged to give:

Φm = 2*(a-y)*cos(θm)

This is how equation (6) was derived. It represents the phase difference between the two light rays as a function of the width of the waveguide, the distance from the interface, and the angle of incidence. I hope this explanation helps you better understand the derivation of this equation.

1. What is the waveguide condition for two light rays?

The waveguide condition for two light rays is a mathematical relationship that determines whether two light rays will propagate through a waveguide without interfering with each other. It states that the difference in the path lengths of the two light rays must be equal to a whole number of wavelengths.

2. Why is the waveguide condition important in optics?

The waveguide condition is important in optics because it ensures that light waves can propagate without interference, which is crucial for many applications such as fiber optics and integrated photonics devices. It also allows for the efficient transmission and manipulation of light signals.

3. How is the waveguide condition derived?

The waveguide condition is derived using basic principles of optics and wave theory. It involves analyzing the phase and amplitude of the two light rays and equating them to find the conditions under which the rays will not interfere with each other.

4. Can the waveguide condition be applied to all types of waveguides?

Yes, the waveguide condition can be applied to all types of waveguides, including rectangular, circular, and elliptical waveguides. It is a fundamental concept in waveguide theory and is applicable to all types of electromagnetic waves, not just light waves.

5. Is the waveguide condition always satisfied in real-world scenarios?

No, the waveguide condition may not always be satisfied in real-world scenarios due to factors such as imperfections in the waveguide structure, external disturbances, and non-uniformities in the medium through which the light propagates. In such cases, interference between the two light rays may occur, leading to signal degradation.