Derivation process? (Heatsink Fin Heat Conduction Equations)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the derivation of the right side of the last equation and the inclusion of C_2 for the variation of temperature along the fin. The discussion also involves understanding the equivalence between the rate of heat transfer on the tip and at x=0 under steady state, and the origin of sqrt( hpkA)*(Tb-T_inf). The solution provided suggests that the second equation should be adjusted to θb = θ(0) = C1 + C2, and explains the reason for differentiating θ(x) and treating T_inf as a constant.
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-23_4-36-37.png

upload_2018-4-23_4-37-2.png

I don't understand the derivation of the right side of the last equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-4-23_5-8-11.png

I got to this point, I also don't understand why it did not include C_2 for the variation of temp. along the fin.
I am guessing the right side is the rate of heat transfer on the tip? which equals to the rate of heat transfer at x=0 under steady state. but i failed to see how they are equivalent, I don't understand where did sqrt( hpkA)*(Tb-T_inf) came from. any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-23_4-36-37.png
    upload_2018-4-23_4-36-37.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 5,730
  • upload_2018-4-23_4-37-2.png
    upload_2018-4-23_4-37-2.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,074
  • upload_2018-4-23_5-8-11.png
    upload_2018-4-23_5-8-11.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,363
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second equation should be θb = θ(0) = C1 + C2, instead of 2. and since C1 = 0, C2 = θb. Now when you differentiate θ(x) wrt x and multiply both sides by -kA at x=0, it should work out OK.

Likes EastWindBreaks and berkeman
Dr Dr news said:
Your second equation should be θb = θ(0) = C1 + C2, instead of 2. and since C1 = 0, C2 = θb. Now when you differentiate θ(x) wrt x and multiply both sides by -kA at x=0, it should work out OK.
thank you, I got it now. the reason we differentiate θ(x) is because T_inf is treated as a constant right? therefore it is same as dT/dx.

Last edited:
That is correct.

Likes EastWindBreaks

1. What is the derivation process for heatsink fin heat conduction equations?

The derivation process for heatsink fin heat conduction equations involves applying the principles of heat transfer and using mathematical equations to model the transfer of heat through the fins of a heatsink.

2. Why is the derivation process important for heatsink fin heat conduction equations?

The derivation process is important because it allows us to understand the underlying physical principles behind heat transfer in heatsink fins, and to develop accurate equations that can be used for design and analysis purposes.

3. What factors are considered in the derivation of heatsink fin heat conduction equations?

The derivation of heatsink fin heat conduction equations takes into account factors such as material properties, geometry of the fins, boundary conditions, and heat generation within the heatsink.

4. How do the resulting equations from the derivation process help in practical applications?

The equations derived from the process can be used to calculate important parameters such as temperature distribution, heat flux, and thermal resistance in heatsink fins. This information is essential for designing efficient cooling systems and predicting the performance of heatsinks.

5. Are there any limitations to the derivation process for heatsink fin heat conduction equations?

One limitation of the derivation process is that it assumes ideal conditions and does not account for factors such as heat loss due to convection or radiation, which can affect the accuracy of the equations in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the equations may not be applicable to complex heatsink designs or non-uniform heat sources.