Derivative Help with f(x)= 1/x +1/(x+1)

• Thread starter helppleasemath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of the function f(x) but is having difficulty doing so.
helppleasemath

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have to derivate f(x)

f(x) = 1/x +1/(x+1)

Answer is = -1/x2 - 1/(x+1)2
I can't seem to get to that answer :(

thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = (1/x +1/(x+1))'
= (2x+1)/x(x+1)' = ((2x+1)' * (x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(x(x+1)')/x2(x+1)2
=(2(x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(x(1)+(x+1))/x2(x+1)2
=(2x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(2x+1))/x2(x+1)2
=2(x(x+1))-(2x+1)2/x2(x+1)2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you are doing a bunch of extra work. You don't need to combine the terms over a common denominator to evaluate the derivative because the derivative of a sum is simply the sum of the derivatives.

Differentiate each term separately. If it helps, rewrite the terms with exponents instead of having them as fractions (i.e. write 1/x as x-1)

Try re-writing ##f(x)## as ##f(x)=x^{-1} + (x+1)^{-1}##. From here you can use the chain rule on the second term.

helppleasemath said:

Homework Statement

[/B]f(x) = 1/x +1/(x+1)

Answer is = -1/x2 - 1/(x+1)2
I can't seem to get to that answer :(

thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = (1/x +1/(x+1))'
= (2x+1)/x(x+1)' = ((2x+1)' * (x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(x(x+1)')/x2(x+1)2
=(2(x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(x(1)+(x+1))/x2(x+1)2
=(2x(x+1)-(2x+1)*(2x+1))/x2(x+1)2
=2(x(x+1))-(2x+1)2/x2(x+1)2
You actually didn't post a question but from the answer given, the function was differenciated, which is calculus and therefore shouldn't be posted here.

@helppleasemath, minor point, but there is no such word in English as "derivate" at least in the context of calculus. The word you want is "differentiate", the action you perform to get the derivative.

Mark44 said:
@helppleasemath, minor point, but there is no such word in English as "derivate" at least in the context of calculus. The word you want is "differentiate", the action you perform to get the derivative.
oh ok sorry wasnt sure what word to use lol.

FAQ: Derivative Help with f(x)= 1/x +1/(x+1)

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope of a function at a given point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules involve taking the limit of the function as the change in x approaches 0.

3. What is the derivative of f(x)= 1/x +1/(x+1)?

The derivative of f(x)= 1/x +1/(x+1) is (-1/x^2) - (1/(x+1)^2). This can be found by using the quotient rule and simplifying the expression.

4. What is the significance of finding the derivative of a function?

Finding the derivative of a function is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also helps us to find the maximum and minimum points of a function, which is important in optimization problems.

5. How can the derivative of a function be applied in real-life situations?

The derivative of a function has many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, determine the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and solve optimization problems in engineering.