Derivative in an abstract polynomial ring

In summary: Use your results from part a) and b) to write out the sum of Leibniz products, and you are done.In summary, we are asked to define a function D in a polynomial ring and prove its properties of additivity and Leibniz rule. We are able to do so for parts a and b, but struggle with part c. By rewriting the product of polynomials as a sum of monomials, we can use the results from parts a and b to show that D satisfies the Leibniz rule.
PingPong
"Derivative" in an abstract polynomial ring

Homework Statement

Let R be any ring and define D:R[X]-->R[X] by setting [itex]D[\sum a_nX^n]=\sum na_nX^{n-1}[/itex].

a) Check that, if [itex]f(X)=\sum a_nX^n[/itex] and [itex]g(X)=\sum b_nX^n[/itex], then D[f+g]=D[f]+D[g]
b) Check that [itex]D[a_ib_jX^{i+j}]=D[a_iX^i]b_jX^j+a_iX^iD[b_jX^j][/itex]
c) Now using the additivity in a), show that D[f(X)g(X)]=D[f(X)]g(X)+f(X)D[g(X)] for all polynomials f and g in R.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see the clear parallel to polynomial derivatives, but it's not defined in terms of epsilons and deltas - it's just a "black box" function that really has no meaning. But in any case, I've been able to get parts (a) and (b) without any problems. But I'm having trouble with (c).

I've chosen to write the product of [itex]f(X)=\sum_i a_iX^i[/itex] and [itex]g(X)=\sum_j b_jX^j[/itex] as just [itex]\sum_{i,j}a_ib_jX^{i+j}[/itex] so that it's similar to the result of part (b). Then
[tex]D[f(X)g(X)]=D[\sum_{i,j}a_ib_jX^{i+j}]=\sum_{i,j} D[a_ib_jX^{i+j}]=\sum_{i,j} \left(D[a_iX^i]b_jX^j+a_iX^iD[b_jX^j]\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{i,j}D[a_iX^i]b_jX^j+\sum_{i,j}a_iX^iD[b_jX^j]=D[f(X)]g(X)+f(X)D[g(X)].[/tex]

So does this work? I tried it another way by checking what's in the nth position on each side of the equation and showing them to be equal, but got bogged down in keeping track of indexes and stuff. My algebra professor said there was an easier way - is this it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
About all you really did there is restate, without really quite proving, part b). But if you actually did do part a) and b), then you are a pretty good shape. a) shows that the Leibniz rule (a common name for what you are trying to prove) is linear over sums. b) shows that it's true for products of monomials. That makes c) easy. f(X)*g(X) is really just a sum of products of monomials if you expand it out.

1. What is a derivative in an abstract polynomial ring?

A derivative in an abstract polynomial ring is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a polynomial with respect to one of its variables. It is similar to the derivative in calculus, but is defined in an abstract setting where the variables may not have numerical values.

2. How is the derivative in an abstract polynomial ring different from the derivative in calculus?

The derivative in an abstract polynomial ring is defined in a more general setting than the derivative in calculus. While the derivative in calculus is defined for functions with numerical inputs and outputs, the derivative in an abstract polynomial ring is defined for polynomials with abstract variables. Additionally, the rules for computing derivatives in an abstract polynomial ring may differ from those in calculus.

3. What are the applications of derivatives in abstract polynomial rings?

Derivatives in abstract polynomial rings have applications in various areas of mathematics and science. They are used in algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory, among others. In particular, they are useful for studying the properties of polynomials and their solutions.

4. How do you compute a derivative in an abstract polynomial ring?

The process of computing a derivative in an abstract polynomial ring involves applying the standard rules of differentiation, but with abstract variables instead of numerical values. This may require using techniques from abstract algebra, such as the product rule and chain rule, to simplify the polynomial before taking the derivative.

5. Are there any limitations to using derivatives in abstract polynomial rings?

Like with derivatives in calculus, there may be limitations to using derivatives in abstract polynomial rings. For example, some polynomials may not have a well-defined derivative in an abstract setting, or the derivative may be difficult to compute without numerical values for the variables. Additionally, the rules for taking derivatives may not always hold in abstract polynomial rings, leading to limitations in their use.