What is the relationship between the derivative and inverse function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverse functions and how to find the inverse of a given function. The inverse function is the reflection of the original function over the line y = x. It is represented as f^-1(x) and is found by switching the x and y variables in the original function. The concept is illustrated using the example y = x^2, where the inverse function is x = ±√y. The conversation also touches on the application of the chain rule in finding the derivative of an inverse function.
nietschje
Hello,

I'am suffering with the theoretical background. My course state the follow thing:

D(f-1(y))=1/D(f(x)).

So: f-1(y) is the inverse function of f(x), this means that the argument of f-1(y) is y!

Example: y = f(x) = x^2 => f-1(y): x = y^2. Am I correct with is one ?

The chain rule is applied at the following equation: D(f-1(y))=D(f-1(f(x)))=
(f-1(y))'.(f(x))'=1, this is because (f-1(f(x)) = x.

I do understand this, but I'm very confused with the next on:
(f-1(y))'=d(f-1(y))/dy, this is because the inverse function has y as argument.
Applied at my example I would get: d(f-1(y))/dy = 2.y

And by D(f-1(y))=1/D(f(x)), the derivative of the inverse function would be: 1/(d(x^2)/dx)
and this is 2.x

I TOTALLY don't understand it..

Someone dissolve my confussion ?

greetz

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]y=f^{-1}(x)[/itex], then [itex]x=f(y)[/itex]. differentiating this shows that: [itex]1=f'(y)dy/dx[/itex] then:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{f'(y)}=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}
[/tex]

Example: y = f(x) = x^2 => f-1(y): x = y^2. Am I correct with is one ?
No, x = sqrt(y) or x = -sqrt(y)

@hunt mat: can you explain that to me with an example ?

@JJacquelin:
I made a graph of what you wrote:
inverse%25function.png

y=x^2 is the explicit function (purple)
x-sqrt(y) = 0 is the implicit function (red)
those are the same functions...

I think the inverse function is: f-1(y)=y^2 =x
because f-1(x)=sqrt(x)
look at this graph:

inverse%252.png

greetz

calculate the derivative of [itex]y=\sin^{-1}x[/itex], take sin of both sides to find x=sin y, differentiate this to find:
[tex]
1=\cos y\frac{dy}{dx}
[/tex]
Then:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{\cos y}
[/tex]
Upon using [itex]\sin^{2}y+\cos^{2}y=1[/itex], this shows that [itex]\cos y=\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}y}=\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/itex]. Inserting this into the equation we can see that:
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}
[/tex]

nietschje, I think you're confusing yourself with what you're using y for. Forget what the function f takes as an argument for now--it's just the argument, and you can call its input whatever you want.

When you find the inverse of a function, it's of the function--the arguments just provide a notationally easy way to understand what you're doing and compute what f^-1, the inverse of f, should be.

So your situation is, you have the function f(x) = x^2. Then to find the inverse of f, you're defining a new variable, y = f(x), that is a function of x.

Now to find the inverse of f (note that it's not unique, depending on what the function f is, but to find the inverse for at least part of the range of f...), you're finding x in terms of y, instead of what you start with, which is y in terms of x.

So if y = f(x) = x^2, we have:

y = x^2 = f(x)

so then it must be that:

sqrt(y) = x

So f^-1(y) = sqrt(y) is your inverse function -- if you want to continue to think of all this in terms of the argument the functions take, just remember that the inverse function, in your notation, takes y's and goes to x's -- where f took x's to y's. So the inverse function is f^-1 : y --> sqrt(y).

That's the same as f^-1(x)=sqrt(x). It's just renaming the variable you used.

One last note--you wrote "f^-1(x)=sqrt(x) " and concluded that f^-1(y) = y^2. Remember, f^-1 is the same function no matter what you call the input. So if f^-1(x) = sqrt(x), as you claim (correctly), then you have to have f^-1(y) = sqrt(y). (since you appear to be taking x and y to be general variables over the whole domain of f^-1, the same domain in each case).

Hello nietschje !

you make a confusion between different thinks :
First the notation (x,y) of function y=f(x)
Second, the notation of the axes of the plot. Use different notations, for exemple (X,Y) instead of (x,y). So there will be no confusion between (x,y) and (X,Y) which correspond to different objects : the first is a function, the second is a system of axes.
Then, you want to draw the function y=f(x)=x². So, you decide that X=x and Y=y . The curve obtained corresponding to Y=X² is a parabola.
Now, the inverse function is x=(+or-)sqrt(y). You want to draw it. Now x is a function of y, so Y=x and X=y. The curve obtained corresponds to Y=(+or-)sqrt(X) . This curve is also a parabola, but with horizontal axe instead of vertical.
Always, the curve (C1) which represents a function and the curve (C2) which represents the inverse function, are symetric relatively to the straight line Y=X. Do not expect that (C1) and (C2) be se same curve because the function and the inverse function are not the same function : the first is y=x² where y is a function of x ; The second is x=(+or-)sqrt(y) where x is a function of y. They are different since power 2 is different from square root.

I read all comments, thanks for your quick replies!

@krb17:
for my example:
y = x^2 ; given x = +(-)2 => y (looking for) = 4

x = +(-)sqrt(y) ; given y = 4 => x (looking for) = +(-) 2
The purpose of the inverse function was that we want to find the value of x when the value of y was given, according to the function of f(x)

y = x^2 and x = +(-)sqrt(y) are both paraboles and the same functions ! This is because there arent changes in de x y axles ! See my example...

I suppose I am correct (cant find any mistakes :) )

Buth when I read that the definition of the inverse function its states that the function y = f(x) is reflected accros the function y = f(x) = x.
I know that I can transform x =+(-)sqrt(y) to y = +(-)sqrt(x) and
this is graphiccaly the inverse funtion of x = +(-)sqrt(y) !
Because the argument x (x axles) is literally changed (rotate this graph 90° counterclockwise and you see a parabole)...

Alright but now its get very confussing to me:
f-1(y) = +(-)sqrt(y) = x : I do understand this is called the inverse function because of my example( see above) but graphiccaly it doesn't make any sense...
f-1(x)=+(-)sqrt(x) = y : I can SEE that this is the inverse function graphiccaly but using number its nog making any sense
I am very confussed with this because of the contradictory definitions...

In terms of derivating: d(f-1(y)/dy = 1/d(f(x)/dx

But f-1(y) isn't graphiccaly the inverse funtion (prooved it above) so must I interprete this as: tranform y = f(x) to x = f(y) still same function! And derivative f(y) to y... ?
Because graphiccaly there are not any changes and the derivatives is graphiccaly the tangent value...

Sorry for the long text ! Hope I made clear where my confussing comes from... Hard time to understand this concept...

greetz

But f-1(y) isn't graphiccaly the inverse funtion (prooved it above) so must I interprete this as: tranform y = f(x) to x = f(y) still same function! And derivative f(y) to y... ?
Absurd !
if y=f(x) then x=g(y) where function g is different from function f.
This is written in my preceeding post. Citation : "the function and the inverse function are not the same function".
Moreover you refuse to use different notations for functions (x,y) and axes (X,Y), so your last post is full of mix-up.
Enough explanation and example was given. Make the effort to carefully read the explanations and take enough time to think at each sentence of the explanations. That is well sufficient and I will no longer answer to more ill-considered questions.

1. What is a derivative inverse function?

A derivative inverse function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of the other function. It is the inverse of the derivative of a function, meaning that it allows us to find the original function from which the derivative was taken.

2. How is a derivative inverse function calculated?

A derivative inverse function is calculated by taking the inverse of the original function's derivative. This can be done using algebraic techniques, such as finding the reciprocal of the derivative or using the chain rule. It can also be calculated using the concept of implicit differentiation, where the original function is set equal to its derivative and then solved for the independent variable.

3. What is the importance of derivative inverse functions in mathematics?

Derivative inverse functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to find the original function from which the derivative was taken. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. It also helps us to understand the relationship between two functions and how they affect each other.

4. Can all functions have a derivative inverse function?

No, not all functions have a derivative inverse function. For a function to have a derivative inverse, it must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. Functions that are not one-to-one, such as trigonometric functions, do not have a derivative inverse.

5. How are derivative inverse functions used in real-world applications?

Derivative inverse functions are used in real-world applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze relationships between variables, optimize processes, and make predictions. For example, in economics, derivative inverse functions are used to calculate marginal cost and marginal revenue, which are essential in determining the profitability of a business.