Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative involving Summation Notation

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am looking at a derivation that involves (note x is a column vector)
    [tex] \frac {d(\vec{x}^T\vec{x})} {d\vec{x}} = \vec{x}^{T} [/tex]

So I convert to summation notation and evaluate as follows
    [tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {d(x_{i}x^{i})} {dx^{j}} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i,j} x_{i} \frac {dx^{i}} {dx^{j}} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i,j} x_{i} \delta_{ij} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i} x_{i} [/tex]

So I do recover the answer in the second term, but I am not sure what the derivative in the first term means. This derivative is of a row vector with respect to a column vector.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with the notation here, but I suspect dxi/dxj = 0 for i ≠ j.

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    I have only encountered this notation in metric spaces.
    You will need to write the covector field Fi(x) = xi as a function of the vector field Gi(x) = xi. This depends on the inner product of the vector space you are working in. If the induced metric of your space is M, then xi = Mijxj. Thus, (d/dxj)(xi) = (d/dxj)(Mikxk). If the components of the metric Mik are constants, then we have (d/dxj)(Mikxk) = Mik(d/dxj)(xk) = Mikδkj = Mij.
    If your metric is the standard Euclidean metric, then Mij = δij, so
    [tex]\sum_{i, j} \frac{dx_i}{dx^j}x^i = \sum_{i, j} \delta_{ij} x^i = \sum_j x_j[/tex]
    If your metric is not standard Euclidean, you replace it as above.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook