Derivative involving Summation Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation involving a column vector and its derivative. The speaker converts it to summation notation and evaluates it, recovering the answer in the second term but questioning the meaning of the first term. They explain that this derivative is of a row vector with respect to a column vector, and it depends on the inner product of the vector space being worked in. They also mention that if the metric is standard Euclidean, the first term simplifies to the sum of the vector's components. However, if the metric is not standard Euclidean, it can be replaced with the appropriate expression.
Lucid Dreamer
Hello, I am looking at a derivation that involves (note x is a column vector)
[tex] \frac {d(\vec{x}^T\vec{x})} {d\vec{x}} = \vec{x}^{T} [/tex]

So I convert to summation notation and evaluate as follows
[tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {d(x_{i}x^{i})} {dx^{j}} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i,j} x_{i} \frac {dx^{i}} {dx^{j}} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i,j} x_{i} \delta_{ij} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i,j} \frac {dx_{i}} {dx^{j}} x^{i} + \sum_{i} x_{i} [/tex]

So I do recover the answer in the second term, but I am not sure what the derivative in the first term means. This derivative is of a row vector with respect to a column vector.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the notation here, but I suspect dxi/dxj = 0 for i ≠ j.

I have only encountered this notation in metric spaces.
You will need to write the covector field Fi(x) = xi as a function of the vector field Gi(x) = xi. This depends on the inner product of the vector space you are working in. If the induced metric of your space is M, then xi = Mijxj. Thus, (d/dxj)(xi) = (d/dxj)(Mikxk). If the components of the metric Mik are constants, then we have (d/dxj)(Mikxk) = Mik(d/dxj)(xk) = Mikδkj = Mij.
If your metric is the standard Euclidean metric, then Mij = δij, so
[tex]\sum_{i, j} \frac{dx_i}{dx^j}x^i = \sum_{i, j} \delta_{ij} x^i = \sum_j x_j[/tex]
If your metric is not standard Euclidean, you replace it as above.

Last edited:

What is a derivative involving summation notation?

A derivative involving summation notation is a mathematical expression that involves finding the rate of change of a function that is written in the form of a sum. It is used in calculus to analyze the behavior of functions and their rates of change over time or distance.

How do you find the derivative involving summation notation?

To find the derivative involving summation notation, you first need to apply the power rule to each term in the sum. Then, you can use the product rule or chain rule, if necessary, to simplify the expression. Finally, you can combine like terms and simplify further to get the final derivative.

What is the purpose of finding the derivative involving summation notation?

The purpose of finding the derivative involving summation notation is to determine the rate of change of a function over a certain range of values. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and how it changes over time or distance.

How is a derivative involving summation notation used in real life?

A derivative involving summation notation is used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze complex phenomena. It can be used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as in physics and engineering, or to analyze data and trends in economics and finance.

Can you give an example of a derivative involving summation notation?

One example of a derivative involving summation notation is the velocity of an object moving in a straight line, which can be expressed as the derivative of the position function, written as a sum of multiple terms. By finding the derivative of this function, we can determine the instantaneous velocity of the object at any given time.