Derivative of a difficult integral

In summary: And$$G(H(y)) = \int_0^{H(y)} \sin u\, du = -\cos u\big|_0^{H(y)} = -\cos(H(y))$$So I don't think you have ##F(x) = f\circ G\circ H##.What I'm doing is taking the function ##F(x) = \sin(\int_{0}^{x} \sin(\int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3} t dt) dy)##, calling ##g(y) = \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3}t dt##, and composing them so ##F(x) = \sin(g \
E'lir Kramer
Spivak, 14.1.iii: Derivative of F, where
gif.gif

I have the FTC. The answer is also given,

gif.gif

But I don't know how to find it.

First I want to try a function decomposition:

gif.gif

and from the Chain Rule:

gif.gif
But now I'm stuck. For I do not know an expression for p' or q'. And worse, r' doesn't show up in the given solution. Thanks in advance for your time :).

Physics news on Phys.org
E'lir Kramer said:
Spivak, 14.1.iii: Derivative of F, where
gif.gif

I have the FTC. The answer is also given,

gif.gif

But I don't know how to find it.

First I want to try a function decomposition:

gif.gif

and from the Chain Rule:

gif.gif

But now I'm stuck. For I do not know an expression for p' or q'. And worse, r' doesn't show up in the given solution. Thanks in advance for your time :).

If you let ##f(y) = \int_{8}^{y}\frac{1}{1+t^{2}+\sin^{2}t}dt## so ##F(x) =
\int_{15}^xf(y)dy## what would ##F'(x)## be in terms of ##f##?

Thanks for your reply. When you put it that way, we have [itex]F'(x) = f(y) = \int_{8}^{y} \frac{1}{1+t^{2}+sin^{2}t}dt[/itex]

But the given answer has [itex]\int_{8}^{x} \frac{1}{1+t^{2}+sin^{2}t}dt[/itex]. How can we just change the integrand variable like that?

LCKurtz said:
If you let ##f(y) = \int_{8}^{y}\frac{1}{1+t^{2}+\sin^{2}t}dt## so ##F(x) =
\int_{15}^xf(y)dy## what would ##F'(x)## be in terms of ##f##?

E'lir Kramer said:
Thanks for your reply. When you put it that way, we have F'(x) = f(y)

No it doesn't! That y is a dummy variable and F is a function of x. And its derivative must be a function of x.

E'lir Kramer said:
Thanks for your reply. When you put it that way, we have [itex]F'(x) = f(y) = \int_{8}^{y} \frac{1}{1+t^{2}+sin^{2}t}dt[/itex]

But the given answer has [itex]\int_{8}^{x} \frac{1}{1+t^{2}+sin^{2}t}dt[/itex]. How can we just change the integrand variable like that?

The y inside the y-integral is "integrated over", so goes away. For example, you can think of ##F(x) = \int_8^x f(y) \, dy## as a limit of the form
[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{x-8}{n} f\left(8 + \frac{i (x-8)}{n}\right),[/tex]
and there is no 'y' at all in this expression. In other words,
[tex] F(x) = \int_8^x f(\text{anything}) \; d\: \text{anything},[/tex]
and it does not matter what name you give to "anything" (except that it should not be x, f or d).

Thanks. I think I get it. Because we're integrating over ##dy##, that means we're plugging in ##x## for y when we integrate.

Just remember... [itex]\int _{ a }^{ b }{ f(x)dx } =F(b)-F(a)[/itex] so let's call [itex]\int _{ 8 }^{ y }{ g(t)dt } =G(y)-G(8)[/itex] where [itex] g(t)=\frac { 1 }{ 1+ t^{2}+sin^{2}t } [/itex] then [itex]\int _{ 15 }^{ x }{ \int _{ 8 }^{ y }{ g(t)dt } } =\int _{ 15 }^{ x }{ G(y)-G(8){dy} } [/itex] since the last term is a constant, we get [itex]F(x)=\int _{ 15 }^{ x }{ \int _{ 8 }^{ y }{ g(t)dt } } =\left[ H(x)-H(15) \right] -G(8)\left( x-15 \right) =H(x)-G(8)x+15G(8)-H(15) [/itex] Now derive and see what constants drop out :-)

Ok guys, I struggled through that one and I think I understand it now. To test my knowledge, I've attempted another one, which isn't solved.

##F(x) = \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{x} \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3} t dt \right ) dy \right )##

So now I will try another composition. I will use capital letters for functions defined by integrals, and lowercase for functions that aren't.

## f(x) = \sin x \\
G(x) = \int_{0}^{x} \sin y dy\\
H(y) = \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3}t dt \\
##
then,

##F(x) = f \circ G \circ H##

By the chain rule,

## F'(x) = f'(G \circ H)\cdot G'(H) \cdot H' ##

## f'(x) = \cos x ##

By the FTC,

## G'(x) = \sin x \\
H'(y) = \sin^{3} y \\
##

Composing,

##F'(x) = \cos(\int_{0}^{x} \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3}t dt \right )dy \cdot \sin \left (\int_{0}^{x} \sin^{3} t dt \right ) \cdot sin^{3} x##

How'd I do?

E'lir Kramer said:
Ok guys, I struggled through that one and I think I understand it now. To test my knowledge, I've attempted another one, which isn't solved.

##F(x) = \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{x} \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3} t dt \right ) dy \right )##

So now I will try another composition. I will use capital letters for functions defined by integrals, and lowercase for functions that aren't.

## f(x) = \sin x \\
G(x) = \int_{0}^{x} \sin y dy\\
H(y) = \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3}t dt \\
##
then,

##F(x) = f \circ G \circ H##

By the chain rule,

## F'(x) = f'(G \circ H)\cdot G'(H) \cdot H' ##

## f'(x) = \cos x ##

By the FTC,

## G'(x) = \sin x \\
H'(y) = \sin^{3} y \\
##

Composing,

##F'(x) = \cos(\int_{0}^{x} \sin \left ( \int_{0}^{y} \sin^{3}t dt \right )dy \cdot \sin \left (\int_{0}^{x} \sin^{3} t dt \right ) \cdot sin^{3} x##

How'd I do?

You are missing a big closing parentheses on the first cos( part. But it looks ok to me.

I don't think it is quite correct. If you call$$
f(y) = \sin(\int_0^y \sin^3(t)dt)$$ then$$
F(x) = \sin(\int_0^xf(y)dy)$$Then$$
F'(x) = cos(\int_0^xf(y)dy)\cdot \frac d {dx}\int_0^xf(y)dy=
cos(\int_0^xf(y)dy)\cdot f(x)
=cos(\int_0^xf(y)dy)\cdot \sin(\int_0^x \sin^3(t)dt)$$ $$
=cos(\int_0^x\sin(\int_0^y \sin^3(t)dt)dy)\cdot \sin(\int_0^x \sin^3(t)dt)
$$I think you have an extra ##\sin^3(x)##.

Yeah, you are right. Ooops.

Though I am convinced by Kurtz's answer, I am having a hard time seeing where I went wrong in my own reasoning.

Is my function composition wrong? Does ##F(x) ≠ (f \circ G \circ H)(x)##?

E'lir Kramer said:
Though I am convinced by Kurtz's answer, I am having a hard time seeing where I went wrong in my own reasoning.

Is my function composition wrong? Does ##F(x) ≠ (f \circ G \circ H)(x)##?

You have ##G(x) = \int_0^x \sin y\, dy##, but let's call that dummy variable of integration ##u## so ##G(x) = \int_0^x \sin u\, du##. Also, you have ##H(y) = \int_0^y \sin^3 t\, dt##. Then$$
G(H(y)) =\int_0^{H(y)} \sin u\, du=\int_0^{\int_0^y \sin^3 t\, dt} \sin u\, du$$I don't think that is what you want.

1. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a difficult integral?

The derivative of a difficult integral is used to solve problems in calculus, such as finding the rate of change of a function or determining the slope of a tangent line at a specific point. It is also used to evaluate the behavior of a function at a given point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a difficult integral?

To find the derivative of a difficult integral, you can use various techniques such as the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, or integration by parts. You will also need to have a strong understanding of basic calculus concepts, such as derivatives and antiderivatives.

3. Can every difficult integral be differentiated?

No, not every difficult integral can be differentiated. Some integrals may be too complex to solve using traditional methods, or they may not have a closed form solution. In these cases, numerical methods or approximation techniques may be used to find an approximate solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the derivative of a difficult integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to use the chain rule or product rule, mixing up the order of the terms in a product, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double check your work and use multiple methods to verify your answer.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying the process of finding the derivative of a difficult integral?

One tip is to try to rewrite the integral in a simpler form before attempting to take the derivative. You can also use substitution or integration by parts to simplify the integral. Additionally, breaking down the integral into smaller parts and applying the appropriate rules can make the process more manageable.