1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a Log function: Y=ln( )

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    1. Given Y = ln [ (x+1)^3/((x^2)-1)^(1/2), find y'

2. I came out with the following answer to this question:

(3x-4)/((x^2)-1)

How ever, I typed the question into an online derivative calculator (to hopefully check my asnwer as I have no answer key, and want to make sure I'm on the right path), but it came up with a completely different answer:

(2x-3)/((x^2)-1)

Could anyone point me in the right direction...my answer worked out nicely: factored, cancelled etc. but I'm worried its not correct.

Thanks for the check!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure how you solved the question initially, but the best way to approach such a question is to use the properties of ln.... in particular, remember that ln(a^n/b^k) = ln (a^n) - ln (b^k) and furthermore this is equal to n ln(a) - k ln(b)... Apply these same rules to the original equation and you will get a form that is extremely simple to take the derivative of, and the answer that the online derivative calculator gave you will become apparent :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?