How do I find the critical points for the absolute value of sine x?

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the critical points and stationary points for the derivative of |sin x|. Different methods are suggested, such as solving for f'(x)=0 and using a graphing calculator. It is also mentioned that f'(x)=|cos x| may not be the correct derivative for |sin x| and alternative definitions are explored. The conversation ends with advice on how to show that |sin x| is not differentiable at any multiple of pi.
John O' Meara
i am trying to solve the following, and the derivative of the |sin x| is required. Find the critical points and which ones are stationary points for |sin x|?
To find the points we must solve [tex] f'(x)=0[/tex]
Since f'(x)=|cos x|, and solving for this gives [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}, \frac{3\pi}{2} [/tex] etc.
That is [tex] n\pi + \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] as the total number of critial points, but using a graphing calculator I see [tex] n\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex] critical points. So I was thinking maybe f'(x)=|cos x| is not correct. I did a sign analysis and only got all +s, suggesting that (according to the calculus of it) f does not have any relative extremum! I am studing this on my own, so please help, Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think about the alternative definition of [tex]|x|[/tex], namely [tex]\sqrt{x^2}[/tex].

Hi John! :smile:
John O' Meara said:
Since f'(x)=|cos x|

Then f'(x) would always be positive, but looking at the graph of f(x), that clearly isn't true.

f(x)=|sinx| is differentiable at every point in R\{k*pi}. In general: |x|=x if x>0 and -x if x<0. Do the same for |sinx|.

Hi,
I was thinking alright of (sin(x))^2, its derivative is 2sinx*cosx and it gives you the correct number of critical points for |sin x|, but when I use the definition of the derivative to find f'(x) I get |cos x|. Is there any way to get [tex] \sqrt{(\sin x )^2} [/tex] from the definition of the derivative? Thanks.

Just differentiate as you would with [tex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/tex]. Don't cancel out, that is; [tex]\sqrt{y^2}[/tex] to [tex]y[/tex], at any point.

John O' Meara said:
Hi,
I was thinking alright of (sin(x))^2, its derivative is 2sinx*cosx and it gives you the correct number of critical points for |sin x|, but when I use the definition of the derivative to find f'(x) I get |cos x|. Is there any way to get [tex] \sqrt{(\sin x )^2} [/tex] from the definition of the derivative? Thanks.

Perform the steps that i suggested, and then apply the def. of the derivative on each interval separately. Because, like i mentoned |sinx|, as you will find out, is not differentiable at any multiple of pi.

i.e. |sinx|={ sinx if sinx>0 and -sinx if sinx<0}

so basically, find the values of x for which sinx>o,and the values of x for which sinx<0, at this point you know that |sinx| is differentiable whenever sinx<0 and sinx>0, all you need to do is determine what happens when sinx=0, namely at those points x. and you can use the def. of the derivative in terms of sequences or however you have learned it to show that whenever x=k*pi, |sinx| is not differentiable.

Related to How do I find the critical points for the absolute value of sine x?

1. What is the derivative of abs(sin x)?

The derivative of abs(sin x) is equal to cos x when x is positive, and -cos x when x is negative.

2. How do you find the derivative of abs(sin x)?

To find the derivative of abs(sin x), you can use the chain rule. First, rewrite abs(sin x) as |sin x| and then differentiate sin x using the chain rule, where the inner function is sin x and the outer function is |x|.

3. Why is the derivative of abs(sin x) different from the derivative of sin x?

The derivative of abs(sin x) is different from the derivative of sin x because abs(sin x) is not a continuous function. The absolute value function introduces a sharp corner at x=0, which causes a break in the derivative and results in it being different from sin x.

4. Is the derivative of abs(sin x) defined at x=0?

No, the derivative of abs(sin x) is not defined at x=0 because the function is not differentiable at that point. The graph of abs(sin x) has a sharp corner at x=0, which results in a break in the derivative.

5. Can the derivative of abs(sin x) ever be negative?

Yes, the derivative of abs(sin x) can be negative when x is negative. This is because the derivative of abs(sin x) is equal to -cos x when x is negative. However, when x is positive, the derivative is equal to cos x, which is always positive.