Derivative of e^x=e^x, the derivative of e^2x doesn't equal e^2x

• Thread starter oridniv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule in finding the derivative of exponential functions, specifically e^x and e^2x. The rule states that the derivative of e^u is e^u times the derivative of u with respect to x. Applying this to e^2x, it can be rewritten as (e^x)^2, and using the power rule for derivatives, we get 2e^x as the derivative. This is the result of reversing the two functions in the chain rule.
oridniv
I have a test tomorrow so I may keep asking questions frequently. For now, why is it that when the derivative of e^x=e^x, the derivative of e^2x doesn't equal e^2x. I've been looking for the rule but can't find it anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule.

derivative of
e^x = (1)(e^x)
the 1 comes from the derivative of x because of chain rule

derivative of
e^2x = (2)(e^2x)
the 2 comes from the derivative of 2x because of chain rule

correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
thanx, makes much more sense

learn this rule: d/dx(e^u) = e^u (du/dx)

[tex] e^{2x}=[e^x]^2 [/tex]
Since [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)^n = nf'(x){f(x)}^{n-1}[/tex]
then if [tex]f(x)=e^{2x}[/tex] ...go from there.

That's again the chain rule but with the two functions reversed!

Related to Derivative of e^x=e^x, the derivative of e^2x doesn't equal e^2x

1. What is the derivative of ex?

The derivative of ex is ex itself. This means that the slope of the tangent line to ex at any point is equal to the value of ex at that same point.

2. Why doesn't the derivative of e2x equal e2x?

The derivative of e2x is 2e2x, not e2x. This is because e2x is a composite function, with e2x as the outer function and 2x as the inner function. When we take the derivative of a composite function, we use the chain rule, which introduces a coefficient of the derivative of the inner function.

3. Is there a general rule for finding the derivative of ex?

Yes, the general rule for finding the derivative of ex is simply ex. This is because ex is its own derivative, as mentioned in the answer to the first question.

4. Can the derivative of ex ever be negative?

No, the derivative of ex is always positive. This is because the graph of ex is always increasing, meaning its slope is always positive. Since the derivative represents the slope of the tangent line, it will always be positive.

5. How is the derivative of ex related to the function itself?

The derivative of ex is directly related to the function itself, as it is equal to the function. This is a unique property of ex and is not true for most other functions. This relationship allows us to easily solve differential equations involving ex.