Derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x

• Thread starter labinojha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x, using the chain rule and a partial derivative formula. It also mentions another method involving taking the natural logarithm of both sides.
labinojha

Homework Statement

Derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Computed using wolframalpha. I have attached the image . Would anyone explain to me the part I have highlighted with the blue box.

Attachments

• wolframalpha-20110805035635275.gif
    wolframalpha-20110805035635275.gif
    18 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
imagine that at first, you don't realize that both of the variables are x, so then you have an equation like this: [itex]u^v[/itex] So then, he calculates the total derivative of this equation in a general way, then at the end he replaces u by x and v by x.

Edit: ha, I'm talking about wolfram as a 'he'. Also, there is another way to solve this.

Last edited:
hi labinojha! :smile:

this is the partial derivative version of the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=353"

if [itex]a[/itex] depends on [itex]b_1,\cdots b_n[/itex], and [itex]b_1,\cdots b_n[/itex] depend only on [itex]c[/itex], then:

[tex]\frac{da}{dc}\ =\ \frac{\partial a}{\partial b_1}\frac{db_1}{dc}\ +\ \cdots \frac{\partial a}{\partial b_n}\frac{db_n}{dc}\ =\ (\mathbf{\nabla_b}\,a)\cdot \frac{d\mathbf{b}}{dc}[/tex]​

in your case, a is xx, b1 and b2 are u and v,

and so a is a function a(u,v) of two variables, and we need to apply the chain rule to each variable separately

(btw, easier would be to say xx = exln(x) :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex].[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u+\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex].[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]v

Can i get any reason or possibly a derivation for this ?

Hi tiny-tim!
I had been writing so your answer came before I questioned. :)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/pdiff/pd10.html

Last edited:
Hi Bruce!
The other way i used to do it was to take the natural logarithm of both the sides(one side of the equation being y to suppose it as the function) two times in a row and then differentiating them both sides .

Is this what you were talking about ? :)

Last edited:
I was talking about the thing tiny-tim said:
[tex] x^x = e^{xln(x)} [/tex]
But yes, the other way you do it is right as well. I guess there are several equivalent ways to do this problem.

What is the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x?

The derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x is e^(x^x) * (x^x + x^(x-1)).

How do you find the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x?

To find the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x, you first need to use the chain rule. Then, you can use the power rule to differentiate x^x. Finally, you can multiply the two results together to get the final answer.

What is the general formula for finding the derivative of e^(x^x)?

The general formula for finding the derivative of e^(x^x) is e^(x^x) * (x^x + x^(x-1)) * (ln(e) + ln(x)). This formula uses the chain rule and the power rule, as well as the derivative of ln(x).

Can you simplify the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x?

Yes, the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x can be simplified to e^(x^x) * (x^x + x^(x-1)) * (1 + ln(x)). This is a simplified version of the general formula.

Are there any other methods for finding the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x?

Yes, there are other methods such as using logarithmic differentiation or using the definition of the derivative. However, the chain rule and power rule are the most commonly used methods for finding the derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x.