1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derivative of e^(x^x) with respect to x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Computed using wolframalpha. I have attached the image . Would anyone explain to me the part I have highlighted with the blue box.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

imagine that at first, you don't realise that both of the variables are x, so then you have an equation like this: [itex]u^v[/itex] So then, he calculates the total derivative of this equation in a general way, then at the end he replaces u by x and v by x.

Edit: ha, I'm talking about wolfram as a 'he'. Also, there is another way to solve this.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. Aug 5, 2011 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi labinojha! :smile:

this is the partial derivative version of the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=353"

if [itex]a[/itex] depends on [itex]b_1,\cdots b_n[/itex], and [itex]b_1,\cdots b_n[/itex] depend only on [itex]c[/itex], then:

[tex]\frac{da}{dc}\ =\ \frac{\partial a}{\partial b_1}\frac{db_1}{dc}\ +\ \cdots \frac{\partial a}{\partial b_n}\frac{db_n}{dc}\ =\ (\mathbf{\nabla_b}\,a)\cdot \frac{d\mathbf{b}}{dc}[/tex]​

in your case, a is xx, b1 and b2 are u and v,

and so a is a function a(u,v) of two variables, and we need to apply the chain rule to each variable separately

(btw, easier would be to say xx = exln(x) :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex].[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u+\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex][itex]u^{v}[/itex].[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]v

Can i get any reason or possibly a derivation for this ?

Hi tiny-tim!
    I had been writing so your answer came before I questioned. :)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/pdiff/pd10.html

6. Aug 5, 2011 #5
    Hi Bruce!
    The other way i used to do it was to take the natural logarithm of both the sides(one side of the equation being y to suppose it as the function) two times in a row and then differentiating them both sides .

Is this what you were talking about ? :)

7. Aug 5, 2011 #6

BruceW

Homework Helper

I was talking about the thing tiny-tim said:
    [tex] x^x = e^{xln(x)} [/tex]
    But yes, the other way you do it is right as well. I guess there are several equivalent ways to do this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook