Derivative of Exponential and Logarithmic Function Concept Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the derivative of y=9-x, which is dy/dx=-9-xln9. The concept behind this solution involves rewriting 9-x as (eln 9)-x and using the derivative formula for d/dx(eu). The conversation also mentions the use of the fact that (ar)s = ars. The person expressing gratitude for the explanation and mentions their involvement in AP Physics and Pre-Calc.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

y=9-x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx=-9-xln9

We are provided with the answers. I do not understand the concept behind how to get from the question to the solution. What rule(s) are applied? If somebody could solve this single question, or a similar one, in a step-by-step method, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find d/dx(eu)? If so, you can rewrite 9-x as (eln 9)-x and use that derivative formula on it. You'll also want to use the fact that (ar)s = ars.

Welcome back! Haven't heard from you for a while.

Thank you, that is very helpful. It makes sense, but it really seems kind of roundabout... ah, well. Calculus...

Thank you! Lately I've either been able to do my homework (or at least I've suffered in silence), although I'm taking AP Physics this year and I've posted some on that forum, and I occasionally try to contribute on the Pre-Calc boards when possible.

What is the derivative of an exponential function?

The derivative of an exponential function is the function itself multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base of the exponential function.

What is the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function is the reciprocal of the input value multiplied by the natural logarithm of the base of the logarithmic function.

How do you find the derivative of an exponential function?

To find the derivative of an exponential function, you can use the power rule, where you take the exponent of the function and multiply it by the base of the exponential function.

Can you use the chain rule to find the derivative of exponential and logarithmic functions?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of exponential and logarithmic functions. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What are some real-life applications of the derivative of exponential and logarithmic functions?

The derivative of exponential and logarithmic functions is used in various fields such as finance, biology, physics, and engineering. Some examples include calculating compound interest, population growth, radioactive decay, and signal processing.