1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of Force in terms of distance?

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Suppose I have a function on a graph with a vertical axis is Force and the horizontal axis is distance. Then the area under the curve is given by F*d = Work = Energy, correct? If so, then what would the slope of the curve represent? F/d = ?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2015 #2
    It will give you the force per unit distance if your function is linear in x(like in a spring).
    Otherwise it will give you the gradient of the force as a function of x if your function is non-linear(like coulomb's law).
    To know more about gradient https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient.

4. Sep 29, 2015 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

1. The area under the curve in general is given by ## \int_{x_{i}}^{x_{f}}F(x)d\,x =W ## , if ##F## is constant then ## W=F\Delta x## (I suppose always ## \cos{\theta}=1##)
    2. The slope of the curve is ## \frac{d}{dx}F(x) ## and represent how the force grow or decrease respect the distance, as example if ## F_{Hooke}(x)=-kx ## then ## \frac{d}{dx}F_{Hooke}=-k## is the elastic coefficient ...

5. Sep 29, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Essentially the slope gives you the spring constant at that point.

6. Sep 30, 2015 #5
    Thank you all. I will revisit this topic soon. I need to understand a few prerequisite concepts first, for which I need to create a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook