Derivative of inverse trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of ln(sec^-1(3x^2 +1)). The attempted solution involves multiplying several terms, but it is not clear if it is correct. The correct solution involves using the chain rule and simplifying to eliminate all remaining trigonometric functions.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

ln(sec^-1(3x^2 +1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/sec-1(3x2+1) * 1/(3x2+1)(sqrt(3x2+1)2-1) * 6x

Is this correct ?, do I just simplify from here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks wrong. There should be more trigonometric stuff in the result. How did you get that result? Do you know how to take the derivative of an inverse function: $$(f^{-1})'(x)=?$$

TheRedDevil18 said:

Homework Statement

ln(sec^-1(3x^2 +1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/sec-1(3x2+1) * 1/(3x2+1)(sqrt(3x2+1)2-1) * 6x

Is this correct ?, do I just simplify from here ?

If you mean:
$$\frac{1}{\sec^{-1}(3x^2+1)}\frac{1}{(3x^2+1)\sqrt{(3x^2+1)^2-1}}(6x)$$
then yes, it is correct. :smile:

Fredrik said:
It looks wrong. There should be more trigonometric stuff in the result. How did you get that result? Do you know how to take the derivative of an inverse function: $$(f^{-1})'(x)=?$$

It's a little hard to interpret exactly without more parantheses, but it looks ok to me. What kind of 'more trignonometric' stuff are you looking for?

Dick said:
It's a little hard to interpret exactly without more parantheses, but it looks ok to me. What kind of 'more trignonometric' stuff are you looking for?
I didn't try to work it all out, but I'm thinking that
$$\frac{d}{dx}\sec^{-1}(f(x))=(\sec^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x)=\frac{1}{\sec'(\sec^{-1}(f(x)))}f'(x)$$ and
$$\sec'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\cos x}=-\frac{1}{\cos^2x}(-\sin x).$$ So it looks like we get a big mess of "trigonometric stuff". But since you're both saying that he's right, I assume that I'm missing something.

Fredrik said:
I didn't try to work it all out, but I'm thinking that
$$\frac{d}{dx}\sec^{-1}(f(x))=(\sec^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x)=\frac{1}{\sec'(\sec^{-1}(f(x)))}f'(x)$$ and
$$\sec'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\cos x}=-\frac{1}{\cos^2x}(-\sin x).$$ So it looks like we get a big mess of "trigonometric stuff". But since you're both saying that he's right, I assume that I'm missing something.

I'd do it the other way around. Since sec(arcsec(x))=x, sec'(arcsec(x))*arcsec'(x)=1. sec'=sec*tan and tan(arcsec(x))=sqrt(x^2-1). No trig left in the end.

1. What is the derivative of inverse trig functions?

The derivative of inverse trig functions is the rate of change of the inverse trigonometric function with respect to its input or argument. This is also known as the inverse trigonometric derivative.

2. How do you find the derivative of inverse trig functions?

To find the derivative of inverse trig functions, you can use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the inverse trig function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inside function.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the derivative of inverse trig functions?

Sure, for example, if you want to find the derivative of arctan(x), you would use the chain rule and get 1/(1+x^2) as the derivative. Similarly, for arccos(x), the derivative would be -1/sqrt(1-x^2).

4. What are the common inverse trig functions and their derivatives?

The common inverse trig functions and their derivatives are arctan(x), which has a derivative of 1/(1+x^2), arccos(x), with a derivative of -1/sqrt(1-x^2), and arcsin(x), which has a derivative of 1/sqrt(1-x^2).

5. Why is it important to know the derivative of inverse trig functions?

Knowing the derivative of inverse trig functions is important because it allows us to find the slopes of curves that are defined by inverse trig functions. This is useful in many applications, especially in calculus and physics.