Derivative of inverse trig functions

Homework Statement

ln(sec^-1(3x^2 +1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/sec-1(3x2+1) * 1/(3x2+1)(sqrt(3x2+1)2-1) * 6x

Is this correct ?, do I just simplify from here ?

Answers and Replies

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It looks wrong. There should be more trigonometric stuff in the result. How did you get that result? Do you know how to take the derivative of an inverse function: $$(f^{-1})'(x)=?$$

Homework Statement

ln(sec^-1(3x^2 +1))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/sec-1(3x2+1) * 1/(3x2+1)(sqrt(3x2+1)2-1) * 6x

Is this correct ?, do I just simplify from here ?

If you mean:
$$\frac{1}{\sec^{-1}(3x^2+1)}\frac{1}{(3x^2+1)\sqrt{(3x^2+1)^2-1}}(6x)$$
then yes, it is correct. :smile:

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It looks wrong. There should be more trigonometric stuff in the result. How did you get that result? Do you know how to take the derivative of an inverse function: $$(f^{-1})'(x)=?$$

It's a little hard to interpret exactly without more parantheses, but it looks ok to me. What kind of 'more trignonometric' stuff are you looking for?

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's a little hard to interpret exactly without more parantheses, but it looks ok to me. What kind of 'more trignonometric' stuff are you looking for?
I didn't try to work it all out, but I'm thinking that
$$\frac{d}{dx}\sec^{-1}(f(x))=(\sec^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x)=\frac{1}{\sec'(\sec^{-1}(f(x)))}f'(x)$$ and
$$\sec'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\cos x}=-\frac{1}{\cos^2x}(-\sin x).$$ So it looks like we get a big mess of "trigonometric stuff". But since you're both saying that he's right, I assume that I'm missing something.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I didn't try to work it all out, but I'm thinking that
$$\frac{d}{dx}\sec^{-1}(f(x))=(\sec^{-1})'(f(x))f'(x)=\frac{1}{\sec'(\sec^{-1}(f(x)))}f'(x)$$ and
$$\sec'(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{\cos x}=-\frac{1}{\cos^2x}(-\sin x).$$ So it looks like we get a big mess of "trigonometric stuff". But since you're both saying that he's right, I assume that I'm missing something.

I'd do it the other way around. Since sec(arcsec(x))=x, sec'(arcsec(x))*arcsec'(x)=1. sec'=sec*tan and tan(arcsec(x))=sqrt(x^2-1). No trig left in the end.