What is the Derivative of x^sin(x)?

• Thread starter noelo2014
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of x^sin(x), which can be solved using the general power rule and logarithmic differentiation. The multi-variable chain rule is also mentioned as an alternative method. The final answer for the derivative is (1/x)sin x + (ln x)cos x.
noelo2014
This is not homework it's just an equation I pulled out of the air and have been trying to solve

Derivative of x^sin(x)

I know it has something to do with the "general power rule" but I cannot figure it out, I'd really love someone to explain it to me conceptually instead of just showing me some trick or short cut to solving it. Thanks ever so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Write (for [itex]x>0[/itex])
[tex]x^{\sin x}=\exp(\ln x \cdot \sin x).[/tex]

Hi noelo2014...

The general approach to find derivative of functions of the form y=g(x)h(x) is to first take log on both the sides and then differentiate.

y=g(x)h(x)
logy = log{g(x)h(x)}
logy = h(x)log{g(x)}
(1/y)y' = h'(x)log{g(x)} + {h(x)/g(x)}g'(x)
y' = g(x)h(x)[h'(x)log{g(x)} + {h(x)/g(x)}g'(x)]

Hope this helps

I'd rather say that is a neat trick, Tanya Sharma, rather than a "general rule". The general rule is application of the chain rule in some manner.
Here's a way to make use of the multi-variable chain rule, for a change.
Consider the function [itex]g(x,y)=x^{y}, Y(x)=\sin(x),\to{f}(x)=g(x,Y(x))[/itex]
Thus, we easily have:
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x}}+ \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x}}\frac{dY}{dx}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
arildno said:
I'd rather say that is a neat trick, Tanya Sharma, rather than a "general rule". The general rule is application of the chain rule in some manner.
Here's a way to make use of the multi-variable chain rule, for a change.
Consider the function [itex]g(x,y)=x^{y}, Y(x)=\sin(x),\to{f}(x)=g(x,Y(x))[/itex]
Thus, we easily have:

I think there should be a ∂y/∂x there, I think it should be

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{x}}+ \frac{\partial{g}}{\partial{y}}\frac{dY}{dx}[/tex]

And thanks...

Aargh, yes. :smile:

So, what's the answer for the first derivative of x^sin x ?

[(1/x)sin x + (ln x)cos x](x^sin x)?

Last edited:
Just use
[tex]f(x)=x^{\sin x}=\exp(\sin x \ln x)[/tex]
which holds for [itex]x>0[/itex] (as a real function). Then you simply take the derivative, using the chain and product rule:
[tex]f'(x)=\exp(\sin x \ln x) (\sin x \ln x)'=\exp(\sin x \ln x) \left (\cos x \ln x+\frac{\sin x}{x} \right )=x^{\sin x} \left (\cos x \ln x+\frac{\sin x}{x} \right ).[/tex]

vanhees71 -

Guess what? That's what I got (look at my post just above yours)

I guess I am not as senile as I thought.

Thanks for your input and help.

What is the derivative of x^sin(x)?

The derivative of x^sin(x) is given by the product rule and chain rule as follows:
d/dx(x^sin(x)) = sin(x)*x^sin(x-1) + x^sin(x)*cos(x)

Can the derivative of x^sin(x) be simplified?

Yes, the derivative can be simplified using trigonometric identities. For example, using the identity sin(x)*cos(x) = 1/2*sin(2x), the derivative can be written as:
d/dx(x^sin(x)) = 1/2*sin(2x)*x^sin(x-1) + x^sin(x)*cos(x)

What is the domain of x^sin(x)?

The domain of x^sin(x) is all real numbers.

Is the derivative of x^sin(x) continuous?

Yes, the derivative of x^sin(x) is continuous for all values of x in its domain.

How can the derivative of x^sin(x) be used in real-world applications?

The derivative of x^sin(x) can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate rates of change and optimize functions. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which is important in optimization problems.