Derivative problem that I thought would be easy

• Thread starter Loopas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding f'(0) of a function with given values for g(0) and g'(0). The individual initially reaches an incorrect solution, but realizes their mistake and is advised to use the product rule to correctly take the derivative.
Loopas
I've attached a picture of the problem.

The problem asks from f'(0) of the function:

f(x)=e^(2x)*g(x)

g(0)=-5 and g'(0)=3 are given.

So the answer I came to was:

f'(x)=2e^(2x)*g'(x)

However, when I work out the numbers I get:

f'(0)=6

This is not right. So I figured I made a mistake a mistake when taking the derivative of f(x). Now I'm stuck because I'm not sure how to derive the function when g(x) isn't explicitly given.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
Loopas said:
I've attached a picture of the problem.

The problem asks from f'(0) of the function:

f(x)=e^(2x)*g(x)

g(0)=-5 and g'(0)=3 are given.

So the answer I came to was:

f'(x)=2e^(2x)*g'(x)

However, when I work out the numbers I get:

f'(0)=6

This is not right. So I figured I made a mistake a mistake when taking the derivative of f(x). Now I'm stuck because I'm not sure how to derive the function when g(x) isn't explicitly given.

Yes, you made a mistake when taking the derivative of f(x). Use the product rule.

Likes 1 person
The product rule say that:
[itex](f(x)g(x))'=f'(x)g(x)+f(x)g'(x)[/itex]
You did:
[itex](f(x)g(x))'=f'(x)g'(x)[/itex]
Which is incorrect.

Likes 1 person
Wow, thanks guys. Sometimes sleep deprivation can do some crazy things.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It gives us information about the slope or steepness of a curve at a particular point.

Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values. They are also used in many real-life applications, such as calculating velocity, acceleration, and optimization problems.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, we use a set of rules called differentiation rules. These rules allow us to find the derivative of a function using algebraic operations and trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between a derivative and an integral?

A derivative measures the rate of change of a function, while an integral measures the accumulation of a function over an interval. In other words, the derivative tells us how fast a quantity is changing, while the integral tells us the total amount of change.

What are some common mistakes when solving derivative problems?

Some common mistakes when solving derivative problems include forgetting to apply the chain rule, mixing up the power rule with the product rule, and not simplifying the final answer. It's also important to pay attention to negative signs and make sure to use the correct notation.