Derivative Proof: Step-by-Step Explanation

In summary, a limit expression introduces a local variable, so using the same variable on both sides of the expression is grammatically incorrect. Additionally, introducing new variables without previous mention can lead to mistakes, such as the incorrect use of the equality in the conversation. It is important to use different variables to avoid these types of errors.
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression

[tex]\frac{h}{h+k} \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex]

is, at the very least, very misleading. The limit expression introduces h as a 'local variable' valid only in the scope of the limit expression. So the h's on the right cannot denote the same variable as the h's on the left.

Many mathematical styles expressly forbid overloading symbols like this in an expression, so the expression is actually grammatically incorrect.

And given that the variables h and k hadn't appeared previously (yes, I know those symbols appeared as local variables in limit expressions -- but as I've said above, those symbols cannot be referring to the same variable), I believe you've simply made a mistake.

Later, you used the equality

[tex]\frac{h}{h+k} \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}
= \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{h}{h+k} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}
[/tex]

which is definitely false, because the two instances of [itex]h / (h+k)[/itex] are not the same expression: they involve different variables (although the same symbols). Errors like this are the reason why using the same name for different variables is strongly discouraged.

FAQ: Derivative Proof: Step-by-Step Explanation

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a measure of how a function changes with respect to its input variable. It represents the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph.

Why is it important to understand derivative proofs?

Derivative proofs help us to understand the fundamental principles of calculus and how different functions behave. They also provide a solid foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

What is the process for proving a derivative step-by-step?

The process for proving a derivative step-by-step involves using basic calculus rules and techniques, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, to manipulate the original function into a form that can be easily differentiated. Then, the limit definition of a derivative is applied to find the derivative at a specific point.

Are there any shortcuts for proving derivatives?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for proving derivatives, such as the shortcut for finding the derivative of a constant, the shortcut for finding the derivative of a sum or difference of functions, and the shortcut for finding the derivative of a function raised to a power.

How can I practice and improve my skills in derivative proofs?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in derivative proofs is to solve a variety of problems, including basic derivatives, chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to deepen your understanding of the concepts.