1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Derivatives and exponential function

1. Dec 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22710&stc=1&d=1261854223.jpg

I don't understand why they took M(e)=1 , and how the proceed on with the proof.
    Thanks in advance(=

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2
    Re: Derivatives

Try to write the derivative of the exponential with the limit definition:

f'(x)=lim h->0 (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

and try to factor out e^x

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3

yes. i understand . However, why did they take M(e)=1?
    I can't really accept their explanation : M(2)<1 and M(4)>1 ,thus they allow M(e)=1..
    My question is how about other real number between 2 to 4?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Dec 27, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

It's NOT so much "how" as "why". I presume that just before the section you quoted they showed that the derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex], for e any number, "[itex]M(e)e^x[/itex]" where M(e) is a number depending on e only, not on x.

It is not too difficult to show that M(2) is less than one and that M(3) is larger than 1 (by numerically approximating the limits). "Choosing" M(e) to be 1 is really choosing a specific value of e such that M(e)= 1. My point about M(2) and M(3) is that there is such a value of e, between 2 and 3. You could, then, by a succesion of numerical approximations, show that M(2.7) is less than 1 but that M(2.8) is greater than 1 so "e" is between 2.7 and 2.8. Or that M(2.71) is less than 1 but that M(2.72) is greater than one so that "e" is between 2.71 and 2.72, etc.

Choosing "e" to be the number such that M(e)= 1 means that the derivative of the function [itex]y= e^x[/itex] is just [itex]e^x[/itex] again.

6. Dec 28, 2009 #5

Oh! Thanks hallsofivy.(= I was rather taken aback by the fact that M(e)=1 and not any other real numbers between probably 2.71 to 2.72 . once again thanks!

7. Dec 28, 2009 #6

Hi icystrike ;
    M(e)=1 since e is defined to be the real number such that the area under the function
    f(x)=1/x and x=1 ,x=e and the x-axis is equal to 1.
    Best Wishes
    Riad Zaidan

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook