Derivatives in relation to physics

In summary, the problem discussed was the use of derivatives in physics, specifically in finding angular velocity and acceleration. It was discovered that the confusion stemmed from a lack of understanding of calculus, specifically the concept of derivatives and their notation. The correct use of derivatives, as well as the difference between Newton and Leibniz notation, was explained. It was also recommended to review calculus before attempting to apply it to physics problems.
SadPanda6022
OK, I have never had physics till this semester and I am in calculus based physics and it is kicking my butt.

I don't understand how derivatives are properly used in the formulas, and I have an example, my question is the image attached.

@=theta
A=alpha

SO,
A) I need omega (angular velocity). w= d@/dt right? so if @=0.11(4.9)^2, plugged into that equation...
we end up with:
w=d(0.11*4.9^2)/d(4.9)
w=0.11(2)(4.9)/1=1.08 rad/s, <------this is right I think.

B) got it: v=rw, no sweat, v=10.8m/s

C) Here is where I trip up. According to my understanding, A=dw/dt, which means d(1.08)/d(4.9)...

but that's not right, derivatives of constants=0...I don't understand. It's been a while since I took calculus, so am I just messing something dumb up?

Attachments

• phys2dervtve.jpg
    phys2dervtve.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
and to boot, the formula for omega(w) is just listed as w=@/t, which gives me 0.539 rad/s.

and neither 0.539rad/s OR 1.08rad/s is correct. grrrrrrrrrrr

is it because they are differential change of @ and t? sooooo, its actually d((0.11*t^2)-0)/d(4.9-0) so the differential just takes the 0 away?

...no that isn't right.

SadPanda6022 said:
OK, I have never had physics till this semester and I am in calculus based physics and it is kicking my butt.

I don't understand how derivatives are properly used in the formulas, and I have an example, my question is the image attached.

@=theta
A=alpha

SO,
A) I need omega (angular velocity). w= d@/dt right? so if @=0.11(4.9)^2, plugged into that equation...
we end up with:
w=d(0.11*4.9^2)/d(4.9)
w=0.11(2)(4.9)/1=1.08 rad/s, <------this is right I think.

B) got it: v=rw, no sweat, v=10.8m/s

C) Here is where I trip up. According to my understanding, A=dw/dt, which means d(1.08)/d(4.9)...
but that's not right, derivatives of constants=0...I don't understand. It's been a while since I took calculus, so am I just messing something dumb up?
Maybe you should refresh your knowledge of calculus before trying to apply it to physics.

Back to the problem at hand:

θ = 0.11 t2

If you want to find the angular velocity ω = dθ / dt, then differentiate the expression for θ with respect to t first, before plugging in any values for t.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/calculus/derivatives-rules.html

What you wrote, w=d(0.11*4.9^2)/d(4.9), made no sense whatsoever. The derivative, dθ / dt, does not mean substitute the expression for θ, the value for t, and cancel out the d's. It means something altogether different.

So it is in leibniz notation, that explains a lot of the issues I am having.

So Id I write it this way, I end up with d/dt (0.112t) = 1.08 @ t=4.9sbut regardless, I still don't understand when I find angular acceleration why it is the dw/dt when to get the answer I don't take a derivative anywhere. I just divide w by t. Is it because it is actually the second derivative of d@/dt so I end up with 0.11(2) =0.22 which is the answer...yuuup

Please excuse my inabilities with leibniz, My professor stuck to Newton notation, with y dots or f'(x). He touched on leibniz notation, but I never quite understood it. Since I hadn't planned on going further I didn't bother to pick it up. I will have to remedy that as it evidently starting to cause me problems.

I guess my issue here is, how do I know when I am using an equation what level of derivative I am actually at? Is it just something I have to know?

You need to go back and review calculus. These are all math issues that you're asking about, not Physics. These are typical homework problems covered in a calculus course.

Chet

SadPanda6022 said:
So it is in leibniz notation, that explains a lot of the issues I am having.

So Id I write it this way, I end up with d/dt (0.112t) = 1.08 @ t=4.9s

No, that's still not correct.

If θ =0.11 t2, then dθ / dt = 2 * 0.11 * t = 0.22 t, for all values of t.

If you want to find the value of the angular velocity at a particular time t0, then dθ / dt = 0.22 t is evaluated by setting t = t0, thus

At t0 =4.9 s, dθ / dt = 0.22 * 4.9 = 1.08 rad/sec = angular velocity @ t = 4.9 sec

but regardless, I still don't understand when I find angular acceleration why it is the dw/dt when to get the answer I don't take a derivative anywhere. I just divide w by t. Is it because it is actually the second derivative of d@/dt so I end up with 0.11(2) =0.22 which is the answer...yuuup

The angular acceleration is defined as the change of angular velocity with respect to time. Since angular velocity = dθ / dt = ω, then angular acceleration α = dω / dt.
For this particular example, ω = 0.22 t, so α = 0.22 rad / sec2, which is a constant value for any time t = t0.
Please excuse my inabilities with leibniz, My professor stuck to Newton notation, with y dots or f'(x). He touched on leibniz notation, but I never quite understood it. Since I hadn't planned on going further I didn't bother to pick it up. I will have to remedy that as it evidently starting to cause me problems.

The two forms of derivative notation are slightly different, but the concepts are the same:

## dθ / dt = \dot{θ} ##
## dω / dt = \dot{ω} = \ddot{θ} ##

Each dot above a variable indicates differentiation with respect to time. More than one dot indicates a higher-order time derivative.

As Chet indicated above, your problem is with calculus, rather than physics. Spend some time learning (or re-learning) the calculus, and then come back to the physics.

Thank you for your help.

1. What are derivatives in physics?

In physics, derivatives refer to the rate of change of a physical quantity with respect to another quantity. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of various physical systems.

2. How are derivatives used in physics?

Derivatives are used in physics to describe the motion and behavior of objects, as well as the relationships between different physical quantities. They are used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other important parameters in kinematics and dynamics.

3. Can derivatives be negative in physics?

Yes, derivatives can be negative in physics. This usually indicates that the quantity is decreasing with respect to the other quantity, or that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between derivatives and integrals in physics?

Derivatives and integrals are two fundamental concepts in calculus that are used in physics. Derivatives describe the rate of change of a quantity, while integrals describe the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. In physics, derivatives are used to describe motion and relationships between quantities, while integrals are used to calculate total distance, work, and other important parameters.

5. How are derivatives used in optics?

In optics, derivatives are used to describe the behavior of light rays and electromagnetic waves. They are used to calculate the rate of change of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the angle of incidence and reflection of light rays at different mediums and surfaces.