1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of Trig with Triangles

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Derivatives of Trig with Triangles

1. Two sides of a triangle are six and eight metres in length. If the angle between them decreases at the rate of 0.035 rad/s, find the rate at which the area is decreasing when the angle between the sides of fixed length is pi/6. Answer 0.727 m^2/min

2. I tried using Heron's formula but I realised it was almost impossible to take the derivative somehoe with the angle needed. My givens are
    dtheta/dt = -0.035 rad/s
    the angle between them is pi/6 or 30 degrees
    Now to find da/dt...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2
    I'm not sure why you're using Heron's formula - that looks to be better when you know all three sides and don't necessarily know any of the angles.

Can you express the area as a function of the two fixed lengths and the contained angle? It's pretty simple to take the derivative of the relevant expression.

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    no sry i don't understand how to express the equation but what i think is cut the triangle into two?

5. Dec 30, 2007 #4
    nvmi got it thank you very much! =) But one thing when u take the derivative of 24sin theta,w hy is it that u leave the 24?

6. Dec 30, 2007 #5
    I'm not sure I understand your question. It's just:

d/dt (k*f(t)) = k* df/dt , k = constant

Is that clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?