Derivatives with Quotient Law Help

In summary, the conversation was about using the quotient rule to derive a given equation. The person asking for help initially made a mistake in their attempt, but after receiving a hint about using the chain rule and including the denominator in the quotient rule, they were able to get the correct final answer.
p.ella
Derivatives with Quotient Law Help!

I have a test tomorow, any help is much appreciated! :)

Homework Statement

Dervive using the quotient rule:

[(2-x)^3] / [(x+1)^2]

My attempt:

= [(x+1)^2 (3(2-x)^2)]-[(2-x)^3 2(x+1)]

When I try expanding I get the wrong answer. The final answer's:

[(2-x)^2 (-x-7)] / (x+1)^3

Thankyou in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
p.ella said:
I have a test tomorow, any help is much appreciated! :)

Homework Statement

Dervive using the quotient rule:

[(2-x)^3] / [(x+1)^2]

My attempt:

= [(x+1)^2 (3(2-x)^2)]-[(2-x)^3 2(x+1)]

When I try expanding I get the wrong answer. The final answer's:

[(2-x)^2 (-x-7)] / (x+1)^3

Thankyou in advance!

For the red part, you missed a step! You need to use the chain rule on this, so you need to mulitply by the derivative of the "inside" function (which is 2-x). Also, you forgot the part in the denominator for the quotient rule!

cepheid said:
For the red part, you missed a step! You need to use the chain rule on this, so you need to mulitply by the derivative of the "inside" function (which is 2-x). Also, you forgot the part in the denominator for the quotient rule!

Ohhhh that makes so much sense! Thank you! :)

1. What is the quotient rule for derivatives?

The quotient rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a function that is the quotient of two other functions. It states that the derivative of the quotient of two functions, f(x) and g(x), is equal to (g(x)*f'(x) - f(x)*g'(x)) / g(x)^2.

2. When do I use the quotient rule?

The quotient rule is used when finding the derivative of a function that is the quotient of two other functions. This can include rational functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

3. How do I apply the quotient rule?

To apply the quotient rule, you will need to identify the two functions that make up the quotient. Let's call these functions f(x) and g(x). Then, using the formula (g(x)*f'(x) - f(x)*g'(x)) / g(x)^2, you can find the derivative of the quotient by plugging in the derivative of f(x) and g(x) into the formula.

4. Can the quotient rule be used for more complex functions?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used for more complex functions that involve multiple terms or functions within the quotient. It may require additional algebraic manipulation, but the same formula can be applied.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the quotient rule?

One common mistake is forgetting to square the denominator when plugging in the derivative of g(x) into the formula. This can result in an incorrect answer. It's important to carefully follow the formula and double check your work to avoid errors.