Derive Entropy Change for Ideal Monatomic Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
SalfordPhysics
Messages
68
Reaction score
1
A Monatomic gas passes from state 1 (pressure p1, volume V1) to state 2 (p2, V2).
Derive an expression for the change in entropy of a monatomic ideal gas.

The required final equation is: ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + nRln(V2/V1)

In my attempt, I am retrieving ΔS = Cv ln(T2/T1) + Rln(V2/V1)
i.e.; the unit of moles not present in the "(V2/V1)" term.
Is the given form to obtain incorrect or am I making a very silly mistake to do with the prior assumptions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is very difficult to help you if you do not state how you are arriving at your expression.

For the future, also leave the headings of the homework template in your post.
 
Its not a problem now I figured things out, the problem was my solved form wasn't exactly as required, but like I thought I was making a mistake with a moles = 1 assumption in another derivation that i was using a a "subroutine".